Interface/Alt-Tab bug(s)

edited 2010 Apr 5 in Technical Support
Hey all, long time fan, first time poster. Just installed the Beta (1.9 right?) and it's working swimmingly so far, but there are a few adjustments I am trying to maneuver, albeit unsuccessfully.

Just a heads up, these are issues in Ultimate Doom (but I suspect Doom 2 as well) and I am running W7 x64 Home edition.

Firstly, I am trying to set the game to run in windowed mode but full screen. My desktop is 1366x768 and when I try to manually set those parameters I encounter some trouble. While the game does play, it has the border at the top (name, minimize, maxamize, close). This border covers game notes at the top left (you picked up some armor, you picked up some health, you're being mauled from behind). If I try to maximize the window, the game disappears. It doesn't crash because the music is still playing, but it goes invisible. I can't switch to it via any means I am aware of, but the game is still running in my processes, but not applications. I decided to switch the game resolution to a more standardized 1024x768 but still windowed and the top border is still in the way. The only solution I can find is to run the game full screen which isn't ideal for me, but do-able.

That's where I ran into the second and more pressing issue; which occurs when I alt tab out of the game. When I tab back in, I can no longer use mouse look. Moving the mouse makes me run in the direction at superhuman speeds. It's like I'm stuck on always strafe-running. Good for competitive play or speed runs I suppose, but I'm in no rush. I've unsuccessfully looked for some kind of setting to disable this. It's not just limited to the mouse either. Alt tabbing removes using the D-Pad to look around as well. Normally my settings allow D-Pad looking and WSAD for strafing.

I've tried to search the boards but no luck, I apologize if this question has been answered or the bug has already been reported. I tried to delete some suggested files in "runtime" but that did not fix the issue. Also strangely, when I open the console in-game, I cannot type the letter "c" after alt-tabbing. I tried imputing the clearbindings;defaultbindings command before alt-tabbing and it worked. However, after alt-tabbing, the letter "c" does not show up in the console. Also I get a different set of messages as "deleting binding xx, it has been replaced by binding yy"

Edit: Tried again after deleting all add-ons and uninstalling/reinstalling Doomsday Engine. I don't think it was a clean re-installation because some of the previous changes to settings carried over. Regardless, bug(s) still present.

Comments

• Friktion wrote:
    I am trying to set the game to run in windowed mode but full screen. My desktop is 1366x768 and when I try to manually set those parameters I encounter some trouble. While the game does play, it has the border at the top (name, minimize, maxamize, close). This border covers game notes at the top left (you picked up some armor, you picked up some health, you're being mauled from behind).
    Why do you want to run in a window without the frame and title bar controls?
    If I try to maximize the window, the game disappears. It doesn't crash because the music is still playing, but it goes invisible. I can't switch to it via any means I am aware of, but the game is still running in my processes, but not applications.
    Please submit a bug report here: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=542099
    In the mean time, try using the video switching controls in the in-game Doomsday Control Panel
    That's where I ran into the second and more pressing issue; which occurs when I alt tab out of the game. When I tab back in, I can no longer use mouse look. Moving the mouse makes me run in the direction at superhuman speeds. It's like I'm stuck on always strafe-running. Good for competitive play or speed runs I suppose, but I'm in no rush. I've unsuccessfully looked for some kind of setting to disable this. It's not just limited to the mouse either. Alt tabbing removes using the D-Pad to look around as well. Normally my settings allow D-Pad looking and WSAD for strafing.
    This is a known issue. Its not a huge problem though as you can simply just press Alt (and/or Alt+c) and normal behaviour returns. The problem is that Doomsday is not receiving the up key event for Alt from Windows.
  • I want to run it windowed so that I can have other programs visibly running in the background, such as a chat client. I realize that the messages at the top are never anything extremely important, I guess it's just a little bit of my preference to have everything perfectly visible. Even if it's not important.

Thank you for the heads up about pressing Alt, that fixes my issue perfectly.

Thanks again.
  • Friktion wrote:
    I want to run it windowed so that I can have other programs visibly running in the background, such as a chat client. I realize that the messages at the top are never anything extremely important, I guess it's just a little bit of my preference to have everything perfectly visible. Even if it's not important.
    I see. So you are not actually wanting to remove the frame and titlebar, you just want everything to be visible.

The problem with this is when you specify the resolution in windowed mode, it is the client-area you are setting. Not the Window size. You can fix this yourself by simply using a slightly smaller window to take into account the title bar and frame.

We could however implement a special case for this so that:
    if when in windowed mode the specified resolution matches the desktop resolution - automatically reduce the client-area rather than expand the window.

If that would help, please submit an RFE here.