Bugs in Doomsday v1.9.0-beta6.8

As I could not agree with the Privacy Statement of SourceForge I post my findings here in the hopes that the developers notice.

Games: DOOM, DOOM II, Heretic (without add-ons)
    In order to switch weapons in Heretic one has to press the assigned buttons twice every other time.
    When entering 'add' in the console without parameters Doomsday crashes.
    When in the console switching to another process via alt-tab silently closes Doomsday after an idle time of about a quarter of an hour.
    Deleting the key assignments for 'show/hide menu' in the 'controls' menu and reassigning the default 'Esc'-key binds the key to the 'game:' instead of the 'shortcut:' context; as a consequence, one cannot exit menus with a single key stroke.
    Only the right 'control'-key is bound to 'key-ctrl'. The left 'control'-key is treated as 'sqbracketleft'.
    When the content of the console is cleared subsequent strings are printed from top to bottom instead of vice versa, the top two rows being hidden by the Doomsday-bar.
I really miss the possibility of echoing messages to the screen (or did I miss something?). Is there a way of pasting from the clipboard to the console?
A note on aliases: it might be recommendable to mention the possibility of using (escaped) quotes inside of aliases and bindings in the console help. Here's an example from my config that actually works fine:
bindevent "game:key-end-down" "if view-size < 13 \"if view-size = 12 \\\"sub hud-scale 0.1\\\" \\\"dec hud-status-size\\\"\""

Comments

• In order to switch weapons in Heretic one has to press the assigned buttons twice every other time.
    I cannot replicate this with the default bindings. Backup your configs then try "clearbindings;defaultbindings" in the console.
    When entering 'add' in the console without parameters Doomsday crashes.
    Fixed for 1.9.0-beta6.9
    When in the console switching to another process via alt-tab silently closes Doomsday after an idle time of about a quarter of an hour.
    There is no logic in Doomsday itself to do this. I will try to replicate it.
    Deleting the key assignments for 'show/hide menu' in the 'controls' menu and reassigning the default 'Esc'-key binds the key to the 'game:' instead of the 'shortcut:' context; as a consequence, one cannot exit menus with a single key stroke.
    Will fix.
    Only the right 'control'-key is bound to 'key-ctrl'. The left 'control'-key is treated as 'sqbracketleft'.
    A known issue which is to be addressed at a later time.
    When the content of the console is cleared subsequent strings are printed from top to bottom instead of vice versa, the top two rows being hidden by the Doomsday-bar.
    Indeed you are correct. Will fix.
    I really miss the possibility of echoing messages to the screen (or did I miss something?).
    The console command "message" still exists- e.g., "message "hello turkeystuffer""
    Is there a way of pasting from the clipboard to the console?
    Sadly no. Its something I'd like to see in a future release though.
    A note on aliases: it might be recommendable to mention the possibility of using (escaped) quotes inside of aliases and bindings in the console help.
    A good suggestion, will implement it.

Edit: Re - silently closes Doomsday after an idle time of about a quarter of an hour.
    I've just tried this myself in Windows7 and was unable to replicate it. I will retry in XP when I get around to setting it up again.
  • First of all, I would like to thank you for the impressively quick reply!
    In order to switch weapons in Heretic one has to press the assigned buttons twice every other time.
    DaniJ wrote:
    I cannot replicate this with the default bindings. Backup your configs then try "clearbindings;defaultbindings" in the console.
    Following your advice I can confirm that switching weapons using the default bindings indeed requires only a single key stroke. However, if bindings are reassigned (in my case to 'q' and 'a' through 'g' for weapons 2 through 7 respectively) the above stated effect reoccurs. It's probably related to the 'impulse'-handling as the same behaviour applies to remapped items as well - which I forgot to mention.

By the way, a listing of all valid permutations of the 'impulse' and 'cheat' commands similar to 'give' in the context help would be nice.

In Heretic's chicken mode (using 'cheat cockadoodledoo') the player's beak isn't attached to the lower edge of the screen.

I have bound 'quit!' and 'clear' to function keys F10 and F12; pressing them when the console is active doesn't trigger the respective action; so I changed the context from shortcut: to console: and verified the assignment with 'listbindings', but to no avail.
    DaniJ wrote:
    Edit: Re - silently closes Doomsday after an idle time of about a quarter of an hour.
    I've just tried this myself in Windows7 and was unable to replicate it. I will retry in XP when I get around to setting it up again.
    It only happens sporadically and without restoring the original desktop resolution and gamma; DrWatson isn't activated; seldom does it happen during game play as well - so it might not be associated to the console being active at all.
  • Following your advice I can confirm that switching weapons using the default bindings indeed requires only a single key stroke. However, if bindings are reassigned (in my case to 'q' and 'a' through 'g' for weapons 2 through 7 respectively) the above stated effect reoccurs. It's probably related to the 'impulse'-handling as the same behaviour applies to remapped items as well - which I forgot to mention.
    More precisely, only the following keys are affected:
    q ert  i p
     s  g  k
      c  nm

I have checked the entire keyboard; all other keys only require a single key stroke to trigger 'impulse' commands.
  • Following your advice I can confirm that switching weapons using the default bindings indeed requires only a single key stroke. However, if bindings are reassigned (in my case to 'q' and 'a' through 'g' for weapons 2 through 7 respectively) the above stated effect reoccurs.
    This makes sense. You can follow the progress of this one here:
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=542099
    By the way, a listing of all valid permutations of the 'impulse' and 'cheat' commands similar to 'give' in the context help would be nice.
    I have submitted the following RFEs on your behalf:
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=542102
    In Heretic's chicken mode (using 'cheat cockadoodledoo') the player's beak isn't attached to the lower edge of the screen.
    I have submitted the following bug report on your behalf:
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=542099
    I have bound 'quit!' and 'clear' to function keys F10 and F12; pressing them when the console is active doesn't trigger the respective action; so I changed the context from shortcut: to console: and verified the assignment with 'listbindings', but to no avail.
    The "console" binding context is not yet a true binding context. Although the engine registers it, it is not yet evaluated for bindings. Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6 saw a complete rewrite of the binding/control system and much of it was never finished. We will address this in a future release.

Btw: At present there is a hard-wired shortcut to clear the console log: f5
    For a full list of the default console shortcuts enter "help" with no arguments.
    DaniJ wrote:
    It only happens sporadically and without restoring the original desktop resolution and gamma; DrWatson isn't activated; seldom does it happen during game play as well - so it might not be associated to the console being active at all.
    I think I know what this is - by default we use SDL_mixer for music playback in Windows. Unfortunately, it seems to be very unstable and I have encountered the "random crash" problem myself on occasion. When disabling audio I've not experienced the problem but for obvious reasons, this is not a real solution. Short of SDL_mixer finding and fixing these problems the only thing we can do is to look at using an alternative audio library in future. We currently plan to implement support for the new FMOD in a future release.