1.9.0 beta 6.8 win 2k compatability broken

edited 2009 Dec 22 in Technical Support
Just tried out beta 6.8 and it won't run on 2000 pro (sp4, +rollup, vc++ libs, .net, etc).
Snowberry crahes at startup

"procedure entry point CreateActCtxA could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel 32.dll"

If I'm not mistaken that's an XP and up function. I'm guessing you guys switched compilers. I can run beta 5.1 with no problem on this box so I installed it and copied the snowberry folder over to the beta 6.8 install (deleted the old folder first) and it seems to work ok. No problems once the game is running just though I do get an "Errors occured message" when snowberry launches jdoom.
LOG
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "sb\widget\button.pyc", line 91, in onClick
File "events.pyc", line 406, in send
File "logger.pyc", line 128, in formatTraceback
File "traceback.pyc", line 101, in extract_tb
TypeError: fake_getline() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "sb\widget\button.pyc", line 91, in onClick
File "events.pyc", line 406, in send
File "logger.pyc", line 128, in formatTraceback
File "traceback.pyc", line 101, in extract_tb
TypeError: fake_getline() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)

But I don't see any issues as far as playing goes so far.

Comments

• Windows XP is now the earliest version of Windows which Doomsday supports. Anything prior to this is simply too old now. You are of course welcome to use an earlier version of Doomsday or compile your own binaries with support for Win2k.
  • Ah I see. In that case you should probably update the slew of places it says minimum is win98. ;) No problem though it runs fine with the older snowberry.

On a side note having run 2k for quite awhile now (on this box anyway) it always amuses me to see people say that win2k is "too old". Yep, predates XP by all of a year; what a dinosaur. <grin>
  • raithe wrote:
    Ah I see. In that case you should probably update the slew of places it says minimum is win98. ;)
    Such as? Our homepage says XP/Vista.
    On a side note having run 2k for quite awhile now (on this box anyway) it always amuses me to see people say that win2k is "too old". Yep, predates XP by all of a year; what a dinosaur. <grin>
    Sorry but we have to draw the line somewhere.
  • Sourceforge project page and various places in the wiki.

It's cool I'm used to doing these kinds of tricks to get software to run. (Got a pair of voodoo2's linked through the nvidia in this box after all. Gravis ultrasound is on the shelf waiting for that special order core2duo board with ISA slots to come in.) It's probably just a couple of XP only calls I'll have to rename in a hex editor. I swear Microsoft went through and tacked "Ex" onto the end of half the procedure calls in XP just to force people to upgrade.