Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6.8 Released

edited 2011 Oct 13 in News
Version 1.9.0-beta6.8 has been uploaded to SourceForge.net and should be available for download very soon. Release notes are in the wiki as usual: http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title= ... .0-beta6.8

Comments

• Yee, great!

Spotted a bug with double click use. In Heretic and Hexen some use actions may need me to double click the key. If I binded tome of power to Q, I needed to double click it. If I binded it to right mouse button, one click was enough to activate the item. Similarly if I binded use switches/doors, etc key to E, I needed double click, but right mouse button worked just fine with one click. In Doom and Hexen E key worked just fine for use. Hexen also had the double click need for some quick keys to items.
  • Awesome release, thanks.

To follow up on the stairs building bug (https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=542099):

I ended up resolving it for my WAD as I had the linedefs flipped incorrectly. However, in beta 6.8, TNT Map30 is still unplayable, as the staircase leading to the Red Key, the staircase inside the Red Door room, and the staircase in the final boss room do not build 100%.

So what to do - would you re-open the bug or would you rather prefer me to open a new report?
  • JCA wrote:
    Spotted a bug with double click use. In Heretic and Hexen some use actions may need me to double click the key.
    Thats a known issue that unfortunately wasn't addressed before the release. It will be for the next.
    ...in beta 6.8, TNT Map30 is still unplayable, as the staircase leading to the Red Key, the staircase inside the Red Door room, and the staircase in the final boss room do not build 100%.

So what to do - would you re-open the bug or would you rather prefer me to open a new report?
    Strange, they worked just fine for me when I made the fix as I used that map as a test case. I've not checked with the release build but I will do when I get back to my dev machine.
  • I'm really happy about this new release because it finally fixed the dormant enemies bug which let me get to hub 3 on my mage playthrough which is the only one I have here that I didn't get bored / got corrupt. But an old friend of ours made a new appearance: I just got back to Shadow Wood from the boss level (don't remember it's name, it's the one with the wyvern), and I can't get back in because the door to the portal is open in animation, but it's actually not (same bug I reported once about the 'talking door' of the seven portals after coming back after the secret stage, remember?). Should I make a new bug report?
  • Most likely the problem is your saved game itself missing the correct linedef flags. However, by all means submit a bug report (attach the contents of your Hexen saved game directory and state the slot you are loading) and we'll investigate.
  • I tested it on both of my machines and got the same result.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/8619/tnt30stairs.jpg

Did I miss something or not install properly?
  • I get the same result. The problem this time is that the steps aren't rising as far as they should because step height difference is incorrect. Please submit a new bug report as this is a new issue.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Most likely the problem is your saved game itself missing the correct linedef flags. However, by all means submit a bug report (attach the contents of your Hexen saved game directory and state the slot you are loading) and we'll investigate.

Not entirely sure because it was working on the previous release. I'll submit the report
  • Pardon if this is not the correct place. I don't know if this has been addressed elsewhere, or if anyone else has experienced this. With Beta 6.8, performance is insanely bad, as in this is what Doom ran like on my old p.o.s. laptop back in the day. In addition, 3d weapon models fail to load.

EDIT - Please disregard. Selecting my resolution in Snowberry resulted in adoption of "SXGA" mode, or something. Changing resolution corrected the issue.

Forgive any problems with coherence - I'm barely awake.
  • With Beta 6.8, performance is insanely bad, as in this is what Doom ran like on my old p.o.s. laptop back in the day.

You mean like when I played Eternal in a previous Beta build and when I was in a large room, even when I disabled all the details and models, it was still extreme slow? Thus I proved it was not graphics related.

It's kind of sad that it has to be that slow, but Dani said these performance issues will be resolved at a later date, though I think any performance problems in the code should take top priority and be fixed immediately. It's strange that it does not take top priority to the Deng team because performance is one of the most important things in any game. Bad performance ruins the fun factor.
  • gary wrote:
    It's kind of sad that it has to be that slow, but Dani said these performance issues will be resolved at a later date, though I think any performance problems in the code should take top priority and be fixed immediately. It's strange that it does not take top priority to the Deng team because performance is one of the most important things in any game. Bad performance ruins the fun factor.
    Performance is of course very important and we fully appreciate that poor performance is extremely detrimental to the play experience. We have a plan to address the current performance issues and as of beta7 that work will begin. Right now the top priority is achieving the new architecture we've been planning for a long, long time. Presently sheer performance is just not that important. Don't forget that 1.8.6 is the current 'stable' release and that is the one people should be using for every-day play.

The vast majority of the in-game performance issues are due to the fact that we are basically building the geometry of the visible portion of the map every single frame. We plan to address this not by optimizing the construction process but by caching ("freezing") the results. Once implemented, the proposed caching scheme will have a dramatic impact on performance. You can get an idea of the sort of performance improvement it will bring now in the current release; start a new game and after spawning into the map bring down the console and enter rend-dev-freeze 1

Once the map geometry freezing is in place, the performance of geometry construction becomes much less important so optimizing that now would largely be a waste of time, especially considering the process will be undergoing dramatic changes soon.
  • Is it a bug of the latest version? viewtopic.php?f=9&p=1700#p1700

P.S. Sorry guys for my bad English!
  • One step closer to model-based maps! I think =))

That's good news though about the geo-freeze code, sounds like it'd help with the {non 3d-model related} hitches as a new sector is drawn/door is opened. Keep it up D-Masters, thanks and cheers!
  • Is beta 6.9 close? :)
  • When I last discussed this with skyjake we had tentatively agreed that we would now be shifting to a bimonthly release schedule with the 1.9.0-beta6.x series so that we can concentrate on the next big jump i.e., beta7. I expect beta6.9 to be released at the end of this month as there has been little development in that branch this past month due to Real Life pressures.
  • Hi, thank you for latest release. Is there any good reason to have conflicts with lxdoom in debian/ubuntu package? I would like to have installed prboom(lxdoom) and deng on one distribution but I cannot do that whith this conflict.
  • The Debian/Ubuntu packages of Doomsday are maintained by a third party. I suggest you speak to the package mantainer(s) about the issue.
  • vkuzel wrote:
    Hi, thank you for latest release. Is there any good reason to have conflicts with lxdoom in debian/ubuntu package? I would like to have installed prboom(lxdoom) and deng on one distribution but I cannot do that whith this conflict.

Can you gives me more details about this conflict? like what packages are conflicting?
    also what is your OS
  • Maybe someone should switch the scheduled release for beta 9 to February and update the 'what is fixed' list?
  • KuriKai wrote:
    vkuzel wrote:
    Hi, thank you for latest release. Is there any good reason to have conflicts with lxdoom in debian/ubuntu package? I would like to have installed prboom(lxdoom) and deng on one distribution but I cannot do that whith this conflict.

Can you gives me more details about this conflict? like what packages are conflicting?
    also what is your OS

My OS is Ubuntu 9.10 and I am using deb http://debian.keesmeijs.nl/ etch-kees main repository with last deng packages (deng-1.9.0-beta6.8).

Problem is in package's control file where are fields Conflicts and Replaces which makes impossible to install prboom (lxdoom) and deng together at one machine.

debian/control file:
    Source: deng
    Section: universe/games
    Priority: extra
    Maintainer: Kees Meijs <post@keesmeijs.nl>
    Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5), docbook-xsl, docbook-xml, xsltproc, cmake, graphviz, doxygen, libncurses5-dev, libcurl3-openssl-dev, libx11-dev, libgl1-mesa-dev, libglu1-mesa-dev, libsdl1.2-dev, libsdl-mixer1.2-dev, libsdl-net1.2-dev, libpng-dev, python
    Standards-Version: 3.7.3
    Homepage: http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

Package: deng
    Architecture: any
    Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
    Recommends: doom-wad | boom-wad, timidity
    Suggests: game-data-packager
    Conflicts: lxdoom
    Replaces: lxdoom
    Provides: doom-engine, lxdoom
    Description: An enhanced DOOM source port...

• First you should be using the "karmic" repo not the "etch" repo
    deb http://debian.keesmeijs.nl/ karmic-kees main

and where are you getting the package lxdoom from? doing a search of google it looks as though prboom has replaced it in the main repo
  • The ubuntu/debian package maintainer will fix that problem and update his repo soon
  • gary wrote:
    Maybe someone should switch the scheduled release for beta6.9 to February and update the 'what is fixed' list?
    Done. However there is nothing to update in the changelog at present as all of our effort has been focused on the beta7 branch. This is also the reason why there was no release this month.
  • I hope a stable, mostly bug-free version is on the way... If there are going to be 10 beta releases in the beta7 series, it's going to be a looooong wait.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    However there is nothing to update in the changelog at present as all of our effort has been focused on the beta7 branch.
    DaniJ wrote:
    This is also the reason why there was no release this month.
    Understandable - it's only 2th of February. ;) Will there be no release this month, too?
  • KuriKai wrote:
    The ubuntu/debian package maintainer will fix that problem and update his repo soon

Thank you.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    gary wrote:
    Maybe someone should switch the scheduled release for beta6.9 to February and update the 'what is fixed' list?
    Done. However there is nothing to update in the changelog at present as all of our effort has been focused on the beta7 branch. This is also the reason why there was no release this month.

That's a good reason. No problem. Also, beta 6.8 seems to be pretty bug free. I'm playing Eternal with it and I have not very many crashes or serious problems. Only some crashes sometimes while a map is loading or randomly in the title screen after a minute of viewing it. All I have noticed is that when you turn the music down in the options menu ingame, it also turns down the sounds effects, even though the sound meter pointer stays at the same place. So I have to disable music if I want to keep the sound without the music.
  • I finally got around to testing beta 8, and I've already found a problem. I can't adjust the midi music volume at all! I tried the default sound driver and SDL_mixer, but to no avail. I can't turn the music off, either. Setting the music volume to 0, or changing the music mode has no effect. The midi music plays at full volume no matter what. I haven't messed with MP3s yet.

My specs:
    Windows XP SP2
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS
    2.8Ghz, pentium 4 CPU
    1GB of RAM

Any ideas?
  • That is a known issue with SDL_mixer and MIDI playback, which has been around for quite a while. At present your only option is to use MP3/OGG or disable music entirely.

Unfortunately for us the support for MIDI in newer OSes is basically slowly evaporating.
  • Does that mean it won't be fixed? Although I don't use midi for Doom/Doom2 itself anymore, a lot of PWADs out there come with custom midi files that don't have MP3 formats.