Transparent Bridges (Sector Tricks) in Jdoom

edited 2009 Nov 19 in Technical Support
I was checking out other ports (mostly for LMP compatibility) and noticed something about Jdoom's support for PWAD compatibility with regards to sector tricks.

In checking out PRBoom+...
It's opengl renderer handles invisible platforms / invisible (Indiana Jones) bridges fine.
Jdoom does not.

Is this a setting I need to adjust for JDoom?
I'm not trying to polarize this port vs. that port (if anyone knows me, they know that I support ALL development in our community).

But I assumed it must be an opengl thing (it's not) or maybe a glbsp thing (doesn't seem to be)... So, that leaves me with a Jdoom thing.

Is this something that can be fixed/looked at?

Comments

• Some of these tricks were supported in earlier versions but the method used resulted in just as many problems as it solved. Consequently I removed support.

Support for DOOM.exe mapping tricks is part of the plan for the redesign of the internal map representation and nodebuilder and will return in a future beta.
  • Ok, good.
    I've not seen the roadmap for Jdoom, but I would hope it would include support for Doom compatibility, including all those funky tricks..

and then..

all that other cool shit you guys do. ;)

(I will allow you to forego LMP support) (tongue in cheek, guys)
  • deng project roadmap

As of 1.9.0-beta7 you will begin to see a marked improvement in the support for DOOM.exe mapping tricks.

By "LMP support" I take it you mean DOOM-format demos(?) Although I would love to be able to watch them in Doomsday the amount of work required to support them is simply far too great. The approach used for demos in Doomsday is fundamentally altogether different.

I would personally recommend Prboom+ for the watching of DOOM-format demos.
  • Dani, I know. That's why I was kidding when I said it. :)
  • I had assumed you knew. My brief explanation was for the benefit of others who might not, and who stumble upon this thread at some later date. :)
  • I love eyecandy when watching demos. Just theoretically, is it possible to rip PrBoom+ physics, put it into a server module and then have the server send location of every Thing to client. Client, then, don't need compatibility, and can even add objects to map (rain, for instance).
  • Yes it is theoretically possible and if we ever did decide to support vanilla DOOM demos it is quite likely to be the approach we'd use.