Am I the only one noticing a performance regression here?

Here are the specs of my desktop:

2.25 GB DDR RAM
ATI RADEON X700 (PCI-Express, 256MB)
3.4 GHZ Pentium 4

In parts of Doom, notably when a large floor is lowering, my performance absolutely tanks. Two prime examples are this are in Plutonia Map02, where you hit the switch at the beginning to lower the floor and in Plutonia 2 Map30, when the floor in the final boss room lowers. The performance becomes super laggy until it is finished lowering, but those should be sufficient enough specs to not cause the performance to tank, right? I ended up testing these in 1.8.6 where I didn't get any lag.

However, this worked fine on my laptop.... (4GB RAM, Intel GMA 4500, Core 2 Duo 2.4GHZ)

Comments

• the only thing i can suggest is upgrade your vid card as i had a x700 witch i could not play with and it's the ati cards that have problems with dday but not the newer ones tho and the latest updates do not work for that card
  • Like I said, I didn't get the performance regression on 1.8.6 with the same video card. Granted, this video card is over 4 years old, I'd be better off revamping this entire machine (as this computer itself is pushing 5 years) but another thing that I noticed is that it still lagged terribly, even if I lowered the resolution down to 320x240.

Everything else in Doomsday seems to run fine.
  • yes i know it's due to the opengl they use for doomsday 1.8.6 had d3d support as well as opengl where as the betas are all open gl and incompatible with the older ati cards
  • What makes you say that Doomsday is incompatible with older ATI cards? AFAIK there are no major issues.
  • i have had the same issuse with no luck and i have tryed to ask for help but the only thing i can see is ati cards at least the older ones not working but there may be a select few that still work all i know is that the x700 and down do not work but some way yet work as i have only had an x700 in terms of ati.