1.9.x Binding (Config) Support

edited 2010 Jan 22 in Technical Support
I've usually been installing new releases over the top of older ones, until I read that it could cause some issues. So, I started fresh today with different archives of different versions.

Also, I admit that I'm a casual user/player now, and have missed stuff (although I did search).

Is there a good manual/help on creating binds using the new syntax now being used?

What was the reasons behind getting rid of bind (key) (value) that has been around for ages?

For example, I just want to do a simple:
alias "+zin" "zin1"
alias "-zin" "zin0"
alias "zin" "zin1"
alias "zin0" "rend-camera-fov 110"
alias "zin1" "rend-camera-fov 30"
bind +ctrl "zin1"
bind -ctrl "zin0"

Which no longer works.

Thanks for the continued work! Still the best port out there.

Comments

• Tolwyn wrote:
    Is there a good manual/help on creating binds using the new syntax now being used?
    There is an article at the wiki on the binding system but it hasn't yet been updated to reflect the changes seen since it was written. I'll ask skyjake to update the article when he can.
    What was the reasons behind getting rid of bind (key) (value) that has been around for ages?
    The old binding syntax could not accommodate the features in the new binding system. The old system did not allow for binding control axes, the new modifiers and accelerators or the bind context mechanism. The new system is far more configurable.

However we haven't yet gotten around to implementing the new control setup UI. Once implemented it should largely remove the need to adjust the bindings by hand.
    For example, I just want to do a simple:
    The equivalent to that in the new syntax is:
    alias "+zin" "zin1"
    alias "-zin" "zin0"
    alias "zin" "zin1"
    alias "zin0" "rend-camera-fov 110"
    alias "zin1" "rend-camera-fov 30"
    bindevent key-ctrl-down "zin1"
    bindevent key-ctrl-up "zin0"

• exec "danij_is_the_man.cfg"
  • Ok. What is the syntax for the left control key on a 105 Standard Keyboard (PC)?

It seems that:

-nomonsters when used with the -warp command doesn't work.
    autoexec.cfg doesn't, well, autoexec.cfg (was this deprecated?)

Should I submit a bug report for these, or are they known?

edit: looks like sqbracketright is the key for left control, but wouldn't that be ] ?
  • Doomsday itself does not differentiate between left and right control keys. I don't know why this is but its a limitation that has been around for as long as I can remember.

The issue with the left control being recognised as the left square bracket is known: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... id=542099#

Please submit bug reports for the -warp & -nomonsters issue and the non-functioning autoexec.cfg
  • Tolwyn wrote:
    Ok. What is the syntax for the left control key on a 105 Standard Keyboard (PC)?

It seems that:

-nomonsters when used with the -warp command doesn't work.
    autoexec.cfg doesn't, well, autoexec.cfg (was this deprecated?)

Should I submit a bug report for these, or are they known?

edit: looks like sqbracketright is the key for left control, but wouldn't that be ] ?

What kind of keyboard are you using? I had that except same problem, using a DYNEX standard/multimedia keyboard from Best Buy (wired, USB). Also, the ~ key used for opening the console would show up as "Kanji" for example.
  • Do you happen to have an infrared receiver for a Microsoft Media Center remote connected? If so, try unplugging it before starting Doomsday and that problem with the tilde and Kanji key codes being mixed up should disappear.

This is an unfortunate side effect of continuing to use DirectInput on modern systems and one which to my knowledge, Microsoft has no intention of fixing. This problem will be resolved in Doomsday when we replace our usage of DirectInput with SDL input in 1.9.0-beta7 under Windows. However unless the countless other well known problems with SDL input under Windows have been fixed since I last looked at this; I intend to replace it on the Windows platform with native WinAPI based input.
  • Answer to both:

A basic, standard 101+ keyboard, PS/2 and tried USB. $19 from your local Staples. ;)

I never use fancy keyboards. Except for music. ;)
    DaniJ wrote:
    Do you happen to have an infrared receiver for a Microsoft Media Center remote connected? If so, try unplugging it before starting Doomsday and that problem with the tilde and Kanji key codes being mixed up should disappear.

This is an unfortunate side effect of continuing to use DirectInput on modern systems and one which to my knowledge, Microsoft has no intention of fixing. This problem will be resolved in Doomsday when we replace our usage of DirectInput with SDL input in 1.9.0-beta7 under Windows. However unless the countless other well known problems with SDL input under Windows have been fixed since I last looked at this; I intend to replace it on the Windows platform with native WinAPI based input.