Msg: ‘Can’t find Savegame Tool’: Doomsday 2.0, #2025

edited 2016 Jul 29 in Technical Support
I’m getting this message and can’t save Doom games. Heretic, though, seems to save Ok. Haven’t tried any Hexen ones yet.

Comments

• Which operating system are you using?
  • Mac OS X 10.11.6 (most recent upgrade).
  • I did a quick test run in build 2034, but it seemed to be working as expected. Could you attach your doomsday.out log file?

Also, "savegametool" should be present inside Doomsday.app (/Contents/MacOS/savegametool). Does it exist in your installed app?
  • Sorry skyjake, this is my fault. I got this refurbished machine with an 'administrator' master account already on it. Evidently this is skewering some of the apps I run. Regarding Doomsday, evidently I lack sufficient permissions to save games under any user but 'administrator', even though all accounts are at 'administrator' level. IIRC, I had to set it up this way to migrate my old stuff from my older Mac. I run Doomsday in both user-scapes and that must be why I'm getting these odd problems of being able to save in the one but not the other user. I forgot I was running Doomsday as two users.

Also, interestingly enough 'savegametool' is indeed inside the Doomsday App, but there's no entry for Doomsday in /Library/Application Support/ so no Doomsday.out log file either. By the way, I installed Doomsday whilst logged in the original 'administrator' account.
  • Sounds like the runtime folder (usually ~/Library/Application Support/Doomsday Engine) could have access permissions that only allow the Admin account to write there. Since that is a user-specific folder, normally it shouldn't be an issue whether multiple users run the app, since each one will have its own runtime folder.

Well, I hope you can sort it out!