A Decade of Doomsday

edited 2009 Nov 6 in News
November 1st was the 10th anniversary of the first release of JHexen, and to celebrate this occasion the deng team has launched a revised home page for the project. We hope you enjoy the new design, and look forward to hearing your feedback!

<:-P

The anniversary also warrants a recap of the history of the project: join us on memory lane as we reflect on past years in the article "A Decade of Doomsday."

We have decided to postpone the Beta 6.8 release a bit so we have time to make a proper anniversary release this month.

Comments

• Congratulations to TEN YEARS OF EXELLENT DOOMING

Thanks for the best DOOM ENGINE EVER , for endless support
    and neverending fun!
    You guys rock!

My deepest respect to all of you!!
    <:-P =D> <:-P =D>
  • 10 years, really? And I've only known about it a few months, heh! Anyway, I appreciate the work you guys have done on your engine, for I enjoy it very much, and I hope you stick with it. Can't wait for the next release.

The redesigned site is very spiffy. Good job on that as well.
  • A proper release for ten years....oh boy.

*Too impatient to wait and wonder*
  • Congratulations!

The new site is looking good too. There's a little bug though, the text is aligned too low on the games page.
  • Congrats, Jake and team!

I have been with you through all those ten years, and the screenshot of the first jDoom page reminded me of sitting in dark internet cafe, downloading files, asking admin to burn it on a cd then... Oh, those days. TEN YEARS, oh my...

Gosh. Tear almost run down my face. How many things have happened since then...
  • Congrats. I remember Doomsday from a couple of years back, but I had no idea it was 10 years old.
  • I thought it was older... :-/
  • Wow. I had no idea it was this old. I only knew about it... bout 3-4 years ago? Well nonetheless congratulations. If it weren't for playing the doom xbox live release at my friend's house and me finding your wonderful engine when searching for a shareware copy cuz i wanted moar, I would have never gotten into doom. :D. and i guess quake being my first fps would also contribute to that.
  • Congratulations! You've come a long way since then. Thank you for all the great work and keeping the project alive over all those years! =D>

I just realized for how long I've played with your engine already. Must be at least 5 years now, just a while before I finally switched to Mac. :-O
  • Over the coming days and weeks you should begin to see more features and functionality appearing on the home page. We don't intend to let it stagnate this time around :D

Things we've currently got in the works:
    • phpbb3 integration i.e., make this forum appear on the homepage
    • Screenshot gallery
    • Doomsday add-on browser
  • And hopefully many more years to come! :D
  • 10 Years eh? o.0 I've been lurking for a loooonnnng time.

I remember when I picked up my first copy of Jdoom and was just blown away, playing with those first real ugly models, the ones that we had before Cheb got his hands on them and made them suck less? You know the ones.

To see how far the development has come and to see DaniJ's phenomenal contribution in the art department and now in the coding department, well, it's been a pretty sweet ride for me, even if I have been mostly hiding in the back.

Most importantly I want to thank Skyjake for creating Doomsday in the first place! Without your efforts and ideas this project could not exist! Thank you for allowing this to become a reality!

Anyhow, I just thought I'd make my annual appearance and thank all you guys once again for bringing us this fantastic game! I know I've enjoyed playing it over and over again over the past many years and I hope to be able to enjoy it many more times as we get closer to that ever elusive future!

<Back to Lurk Mode>
  • This may be not the right place for it but may I suggest you put a link to the bug tracker on SF.net directly on the frontpage of dengine.net? This would allow casual users to report bugs without having to click through several different places.

And btw., the "Add-ons"-link on the Win and Mac download pages currently points to the wrong location. But I guess this will be fixed when the site gets unified in the coming weeks ;)

However, I like the new dengine.net and think it will be a great home for Doomsday once it is finished and everything in one place!
  • Good suggestions. I'm not quite sure yet where such links should be placed though.

I'll fix the broken links you mentioned when I get back to my dev system.

EDIT: Broken links fixed and various deng project links added to the home page.
  • I was thinking about the download links. Currently if I click on the Apple icon on Windows I still get the Windows setup EXE even though I wanted the Mac OS one. So maybe we should just make the "get it NOW" text link to the auto-platform download, and then link the version/platform specific links to the files directly.
  • Well, there's nothing I can repeat that hasn't already been said.

I've been using Doomsday pratically since the beginning and have no intention of stopping. So congratulations and thanks to Deng team for Doomsday.

That said, I would comment that the "Free" on the otherwise fine new site looks a bit tacky.
  • skyjake wrote:
    I was thinking about the download links. Currently if I click on the Apple icon on Windows I still get the Windows setup EXE even though I wanted the Mac OS one. So maybe we should just make the "get it NOW" text link to the auto-platform download, and then link the version/platform specific links to the files directly.
    I think that will be a more intuitive configuration. Also the "get it NOW" text should be downloading the latest stable release rather than 1.9.0-betaX.
    Vermil wrote:
    That said, I would comment that the "Free" on the otherwise fine new site looks a bit tacky.
    It is free and with a somewhat "commercial-looking" site it is necessary to state that fact to avoid potential misconceptions.
  • Vermil wrote:
    I would comment that the "Free" on the otherwise fine new site looks a bit tacky.
    Well, at least it doesn't say "Evony - Free Forever", right? ;)

I hate those banners...
  • I'm a bit late, but hi, and congratulations. And, whoever did the site layout, brilliant work. It's really really good!
  • Looking at my old backups, I find the oldest JDoom I have is 0.82 from December 2000. But I'm sure I started with something earlier (the numbers 0.76 float enigmatically around in my addled brain like something from the Spirit World (not the Doom II level)).

As for the original 3D models, I think I first came across them in YPOD (Your Path of Destruction) the Doom mod for Quake. I recall spending an anxious afternoon waiting for a colleague with internet access to download that mod for me back in 1997 so that I could marvel at selected Doom levels made in proper 3D.

Thank you SkyJake and Dani and everyone else who has contributed over the years. Doomsday is still my FPS of choice, despite all the commercial games that have come (and gone) since.

Congratulations!