Oculus CV1 support

edited 2016 Jun 10 in Technical Support
What is the status of supporting the Oculus CV1? It no longer supports the desktop mode that the DK2 had. You'll need to support it natively.

Comments

• The status is that development of Doomsday's Oculus code was halted around Oculus SDK version 0.5 and since then the SDK has changed in substantial ways. It will take quite a bit of effort to update the code to be compatible with the latest SDK.

However, the bigger challenge is that Doomsday's renderer is still fundamentally inefficient when it comes to rendering multiple views. There are several tasks on the roadmap to improve this, starting from moving to a later version of OpenGL, and revising the renderer itself to be less wasteful of processing time.

The good news is that I will have access to a CV1 hopefully in July (if my preorder ships!) so I will be able to get started on upgrading the Oculus support.
  • Good enough for me. I'm also waiting on my CV1 one. I was using my DK2, but with the final Oculus store and API. I played around with GZ3Doom and it's Oculus support, and thought, this would be better on Degnine and the ability to load the high res textures and models.

A little note about the CV1 not working yet but coming soon would be helpful on the wiki, to save anyone else some time trying to get it to work and failing.