Wolfenstein for Doomsday Released (No support given)

edited 2009 Aug 9 in Addons for DOOM
M_DOOM.png
Information:
This is a fragmented release of WolfTC, as is.
That means that there are loads of bugs in it and many texture names needs renaming to fit in and many still needs to done or redone.
Remember, no support will be given.
It only works with Doomsday 1.8.6 as of now.
The source code is lost, and I could only dig up these 2 builds so try and see if you can get it running.
I had issues running it but by running Doom 2 just once first I was able to run WolfTC.

Reason for release:
I am no longer a member of the team and haven't been for quite a while for various reasons I won't go into details with. Some time after I left the project it grinded to a complete halt. So why release a broken and unfinished project?
Well the ultimate reason why this is released is so that maybe the rest of the community could pick the pieces of this project which seems to have exploded and maybe be able to piece together something that might work, maybe even work in the latest Doomsday build, who knows. I and the rest of the team certainly hope to see someone being able to do something with the project so it wasn't developed in vain.

Downloads:
{EDIT DaniJ: link removed}64.png
>>> WolfTC build from 12-01-2007

>>> WolfTC build from 05-04-2005

>>> High resolution textures and patches from 12-06-2009

>>> External music from 09-04-2005

Credits:
{EDIT DaniJ: link removed}jpeg.png

For the team I was a former member of:
I hope you guys wants to see this play out nicely as much as I do and I hope Batteryman, Doom Jedi and Vermil will release what they have so the community might pick it up and make it work, even though the source code is lost.
Most of all I hope there won't be any grudge or struggle between team members or ex-team members, so we can see this release as like planting a seed which will eventually grow into a new project.

Comments

• I request that my work be removed.

Which is both builds you have posted :)
  • All links to the downloads in the above post have been removed. The files they link to contain resources taken from another game.

I am willing to permit discussion of addons that ultilize resources from other games in Doomsday here out our official forum. However I do not want to see such things released via this forum. Some may remember me "chastising" the Skulltag team for allowing such things on their official forum and it would be rather hypocritical of me to allow the same here, at our forum.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    All links to the downloads in the above post have been removed. The files they link to contain resources taken from another game.

I am willing to permit discussion of addons that ultilize resources from other games in Doomsday here out our official forum. However I do not want to see such things released via this forum. Some may remember me "chastising" the Skulltag team for allowing such things on their official forum and it would be rather hypocritical of me to allow the same here, at our forum.
    That's fully understandable Dani :)

Btw I can't wait for the last 2 exams to be over so I can return to texturing for Doom.. :D
  • Not all the source is lost. I still have source and data assets that were sent to me for 1.8.6 (although it was sent some years ago), and of course I have the code that was committed to the doomsday svn (until it was removed due to a lack of love - oh and some drama too).

My understanding is that the svn code wasn't as up to date as the packaged code - but svn "worked" with 1.9.x, while the packaged code was 1.8.6 only. It does look like a lot of work to get it running with current doomsday, as so much has changed.
  • What with the links to the content (and thus the very reason that this topic was created in the first place) removed, shouldn't this topic be locked or deleted?
  • I personally see no reason to lock this topic
  • You're seriously telling me that you find nothing wrong with a topic that bears "Wolfenstein for Doomsday Released" only for said topic to be filled with "link removed", "link removed", "link removed", "link removed", "link removed"?
  • You're seriously telling me that you find nothing wrong with a topic that bears "Wolfenstein for Doomsday Released" only for said topic to be filled with "link removed", "link removed", "link removed", "link removed", "link removed"?
    They have chosen to take the stand that links to anything containing resources from other games must be removed. That of course should include things like abbs weapons packs, and similar such items. It is after all their forums.

Now with regards to source code and binaries - if a link to that was posted, I'm sure there would would be a lovely legal and ethical mindfield should it be removed. It does appear a link to the binary was posted, two in fact - and it appears that the binaries were distributed to Freelanzer in violation of the GPL as they did not receive the source code, nor any ability to receive such source.

Perhaps it is fortunate that WolfTC as distributed is based on a version of Doomsday that does not contain my code (1.8.6 waas before my time) otherwise I would be demanding very loudly for the license to be honoured. I would like to know the reasoning behind why the binaries were removed - and at Vermil's request is inconsistent with the license terms.
  • edited 2009 Jul 1
    Do the coders of a professional development studio send every artist, map maker etc copies of the src every to every team member every time they make a change?

I sent all team members a new build of the TC about once a month. FL posted two of those builds that he received while on the team, without telling anyone. He had no right to release my work without my permission, hence my request to remove the links to my work; the TC itself.

FL's role when on the team was solely making hi-res textures, which, with my consent, he released ages ago completely separate from the TC.
  • Vermil wrote:
    Do the coders of a professional development studio send every artist, map maker etc copies of the src every to every team member every time they make a change?
    Depends on the license of the code. You worked on a project that utilised GPL code. The GPL states you MUST supply the source with it, or an offer good for at least 3 years to supply the source on request, to whoever you distributed the binaries to. I find it is simply much easier to supply a zipped tarball of the source than bother with the offer.
    Vermil wrote:
    I sent all team members a new build of the TC about once a month. FL posted two of those builds that he received while on the team, without telling anyone. He had no right to release my work without my permission, hence my request to remove the links to my work; the TC itself.
    Having recieved the binaries under the terms of the GPL, he is in fact quite entitled to release the binaries, and the source. By all means, feel free to seek legal advice on this, you will find that he can release the binaries and source. What he can not do is release any non-code content he does not own the copyright to - an example would be if you created a texture and he released that - he would be quite wrong to do so, and you could demand, quite rightly, a takedown of that asset.
    Vermil wrote:
    FL's role when on the team was solely making hi-res textures, which, with my consent, he released ages ago completely separate from the TC.
    Unless you had a contract drawn up, where it stipulated that he was creating those works for you, under a works for hire agreement, you'll find that he in fact owns the copyright on his textures, and does not need your consent to do whatever he wishes with them.
  • Yagisan wrote:
    Vermil wrote:
    Unless you had a contract drawn up, where it stipulated that he was creating those works for you, under a works for hire agreement, you'll find that he in fact owns the copyright on his textures, and does not need your consent to do whatever he wishes with them.

Stop twisting my words to say something they aren't.
  • Vermil wrote:
    Yagisan wrote:

Stop twisting my words to say something they aren't.
    I'm not twisting your words. I'm simply pointing out that unless he created those works for you under a works for hire agreement, such as an employment contract, he, not you, owns the copyrights to those works, and as such he does not need your consent in any way, shape, or form to do with his copyrighted works, as he wishes.
  • You assholes, rename the f**king thread!

:cry:

Lol anyway, seriously.... I dunno what the big deal there is, but I thought that because WolfTC was never distributed no source was required to be included. Isn't releasing it with source as per GPL law a completely different thing to sending testing-builds to his own staff for their dev-work? I mean, it's not released, nor being distributed....

... can we move along now plz :clown:

So Vermil, Is this a dead project or do you think it'll get some progress again one day? :D
  • JonusC wrote:
    Lol anyway, seriously.... I dunno what the big deal there is, but I thought that because WolfTC was never distributed no source was required to be included. Isn't releasing it with source as per GPL law a completely different thing to sending testing-builds to his own staff for their dev-work? I mean, it's not released, nor being distributed....
    Might want to re-read the thread - I for one, have a copy, and the license is quite clear on what the conditions are.
    JonusC wrote:
    So Vermil, Is this a dead project or do you think it'll get some progress again one day? :D
    It's dead. It looks like the team tore itself apart, which is a shame, as it looked rather good from what I saw of it.
  • Yagisan wrote:
    Might want to re-read the thread - I for one, have a copy, and the license is quite clear on what the conditions are.
    Oh. Well nevermind me then :lol:
    Yagisan wrote:
    It's dead. It looks like the team tore itself apart, which is a shame, as it looked rather good from what I saw of it.
    I know :( I was very interested. I'm actually working on bringing the original Wolfendoom episodes over to Doomsday. It's been done before, but not all the episodes were converted and it still has the bugs of Boss's not dropping keys and such. New textures and weapon sprites/models would have been sweet.
  • Ah yes, but you were suppose to actually help finish WolfTC, Yagisan.

I stand by my comment, echoed by Joshua, that internal builds released to other members of a dev team do not have to include the source code.

That said, I don't see what you or I have to gain from this little argument about things that are in the past (i.e. whatever we say here, nothing can be done about it now).

Moving on from that, quite frankly, some aspects of the WolfTC files are incredibly dated now. By which I mean that I have since learnt far more effective, professional ways of achieving many things in WolfTC.

I do think that when I return to doing major work on WolfTC, that I will rip out large parts of it and redo them.

All these constant "public issues" (to put it nicely) with the "team" do erode my interest in working on the TC. I haven't worked on the TC in some time and currently have little interest in the very near future. But, as it stands, I personally would rather not publically release my work on WolfTC, rather than release it incomplete.

By comparison, everything is going great with Corr7TC, which as the name suggests is a non-src based Doomsday TC of Capstone's Wolf3D engine based Corridor: Alien Invasion, that I am working largely by myself; a couple of people are helping me with the audio. Makes me wonder if maybe WolfTC is cursed to put it light heartedly.

Certainly, WolfTC has taken on a mythical greatness of sort's to some Dday users that it will probably never achieve. None of the "team" that worked on it, myself included, would have been up to making a mod of such a level of greatness in my opinion.
  • Fair enough.

I'm still planning on "porting" Wolfendoom to Doomsday regardless, kind of a different thing though (from what I read about WolfTC, it was designed to not be a 'remake' of Wolf3D was it - but rather a completely new 'inspired by' TC....?)

Something interesting I thought worth mentioning, even if it's only barely related:
    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimw/Wolf3D/

EDIT: Wait... is this the same WolfTC found at http://wolftc.yaa.dk/ !?!? [But links to a missing forum thread]?
  • Nope. What you have linked to is a texture and model pack for NewWolf, a Wolf3D source port. Apparently the author intends to also update WolfenDoom for Doomsday.

He actually introduced the site over at NewDoom a while before NewDoom was abandoned, but nothing has been heard from them since.

Indeed, I won't deny that I have wondered if you are the author of that site given some writing similarities?
  • Are you asking if that's my site.....?

....Nay, i'm a humble age-old Doom fan who's stayed silent :p i chose to join in finally since Doomsday has started to become pretty impressive, i've got a lot of spare time lately, and that Newdoom anal rape really pissed me off. The site was barely updated, poorly maintained, frequently offline and slow, yet somehow they bridged many gaps in the Doom community. Then they start demanding money from users AND developers.... Ok lets not dwell on that. I dunno what everyone else thinks, but i thought that was an epic bummer and obviously i'm not quite over it =(

Ah i've gone way off topic =/

...wait, what are you saying about my writing style?!?! Lol
  • Vermil wrote:
    Ah yes, but you were suppose to actually help finish WolfTC, Yagisan.
    I did all I said I would do. I made sure any source supplied to me worked on Linux, and cleaned up errors as I saw fit. That was no more, and no less than I said I would do. My changes were in the branch that now sits in the doomsday attic. The simple fact is source was supplied irregularly to me, and you spend very little time communicating with me about it - I finally removed you from my AIM buddy list this month as you, like skyjake, where either never on, or when on, never replied. I told you when I was a member of the doomsday team I would not commit anything to svn that I thought would be left to me and DaniJ to support.
    Vermil wrote:
    I stand by my comment, echoed by Joshua, that internal builds released to other members of a dev team do not have to include the source code.
    I would disagree with you there.
    Vermil wrote:
    That said, I don't see what you or I have to gain from this little argument about things that are in the past (i.e. whatever we say here, nothing can be done about it now).
    I don't know why you guys never actually released anything - you shoot it down whenever it comes up. It motivates me to remind you that once you distribute a build you have obligations that come with it.
    Vermil wrote:
    All these constant "public issues" (to put it nicely) with the "team" do erode my interest in working on the TC. I haven't worked on the TC in some time and currently have little interest in the very near future. But, as it stands, I personally would rather not publically release my work on WolfTC, rather than release it incomplete.
    If doomsday had the same attitude - you would not have had an engine to work on in the first place!
    Vermil wrote:
    By comparison, everything is going great with Corr7TC, which as the name suggests is a non-src based Doomsday TC of Capstone's Wolf3D engine based Corridor: Alien Invasion, that I am working largely by myself; a couple of people are helping me with the audio. Makes me wonder if maybe WolfTC is cursed to put it light heartedly.
    It might be - or you might be one of those people that are better off developing in relative isolation. In anycase we'd love to see Corr7TC when you release it.
    Vermil wrote:
    Certainly, WolfTC has taken on a mythical greatness of sort's to some Dday users that it will probably never achieve. None of the "team" that worked on it, myself included, would have been up to making a mod of such a level of greatness in my opinion.
    Unfortunately we'll never know.
  • I should stay well away from this, but I can't. While you were all arguing about who is in charge and what not, there was a great Wolfenstein for Zdoom released.

Nice to play Wolf again even though it was the first mission only, but that is enough. I have the original also, with Spear of Destiny, and Both are bloody fucking BORING! Why are you guys even remaking this, and why the fuck are you fighting about it?

Wolf is a piece of ancient history, and will always be more like PacMan than Doom. If you really need to do something, then Commander Keen could sure use a remake.

Did you get that Vermin?
  • edited 2009 Aug 7
    psyren wrote:
    If you really need to do something, then Commander Keen could sure use a remake.Did you get that Vermin?

Sweet virgin Mary mother of Jesus, someone should make a Commander Keen FPS.

*glances at thread title* Hmmmm..... <:-P ........ :(( <:-P =)) >:) :P [:)

Edit : I was up all night and still drunk ::party::

• Hmmm. It'd be pretty impossible doing all that platforming in first-person. Have you tried playing the Flash version of Portal, and then tried the map pack of the Flash levels? It's infuriatingly hard to pull some of the tricks off! Maybe it could work if done as a third-person game or 3D sidescroller, but I don't know. Either way, reinventing Commander Keens requires a lot of though. As for doing straight ports, remember there's a lot of them, each with their own gameplay design and quirks! Porting Wolfenstein 3D and its expansion is decidedly simpler.
  • What was lacking in Wolf3DTC, anyway?
  • JonusC wrote:
    *glances at thread title*
    That was a subtle hint, someone should update the thread title or at least prepend it with a [Revoked] or something.
    g6672D wrote:
    Hmmm. It'd be pretty impossible doing all that platforming in first-person.
    Yeah true, but I'd love to shoot big ol' one-eye green guy (whats his name again) with a blaster right in his stupid face :D
    Psychikon wrote:
    What was lacking in Wolf3DTC, anyway?
    If the direction of this thread is any indication of how comfortable the authors are on talking about it/revealing details, we'll probably never know.
  • JonusC wrote:
    If the direction of this thread is any indication of how comfortable the authors are on talking about it/revealing details, we'll probably never know.
    Well, I can understand that... I was kind of like that this time around with the garg. I didn't want to jinx it or anything, 'cause last time I did, I got lethargic and never touched it up, and then the computer got water damage and then I had to RE-rig an OLD version of the model again. I learned more though, and it was easier to animate this time! It won't be difficult to convert the model into the obsidian gargoyles (I thought that's what they were) from Hexen. New skin, a few new animations, a new fireball, and you're ready to go!

Still, though... That's a little bit of a tease, no? I thought there were enough resources available to scrap them together into a Wolfenstein 3D TC anyway, aren't there? If you're looking for hi-res sprites, there's the Jaguar version of Wolfenstein 3D with totally awesome ^2 versions! lol...
    The pistol looks a lot like Doom's pistol, and the chaingun is almost EXACTLY the same as Doom's chaingun. It was a little ridiculous, but at least it was smoother than the old game.

Anyone here remember Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold? "MEDIC!" It was funny how everyone's head was just tall enough to be touching the ceiling it seemed like.
  • Psychikon wrote:
    Still, though... That's a little bit of a tease, no? I thought there were enough resources available to scrap them together into a Wolfenstein 3D TC anyway, aren't there?
    I'm a fan of the original Wolfendoom very much, there's some great level design in the series. It's very "classic" too.
    Psychikon wrote:
    If you're looking for hi-res sprites, there's the Jaguar version of Wolfenstein 3D with totally awesome ^2 versions! lol...
    The Mac version of Wolfenstein 3D had higher-res textures and sprites too, is the Jag. version better still? Plus there is that high-res texture project for Wolf3D that's pretty nice looking so far.