Shell Config / Learning to Launch?

edited 2016 Jan 19 in Technical Support
G'day gents..

This is another one of those super noobie first posts from someone who's trying to learn how to use the Shell to host a game. (Note I'm on 1.15.7)

I've searched the forums, read the FAQ, and I can't seem to find the support that I need. Funny enough, when I search for information, I seem to get a lot of links to doomsday preppers :)

I can't find much support that explains troubleshooting the shell commands or errors.. The wiki tells me to use the shell, and if it doesn't launch or connect to try the doomshell.out file. Well my doomshell.out doesn't even register any sort of updates to the log past last night when I tested out single player, so I am not sure where to turn.

I have forwarded the port in my router as required, but I'm not getting anywhere, nor can I find the issue I'm having addressed. Again, I bet it's super simple and you'll facepalm on reading and this, but I hope my humbleness and all the correct steps followed, pics provided, and logs pasted will earn me some points in the "due diligence" department. Please go easy on me or point me in the right direction! :)

Anyway. So I run the Shell on any of the different WADs I have installed (tested in Single Player) and it doesn't get past the first step. It "fails to start the server" due to "No playable games found"

Is there a Youtube tutorial or a more fleshed out FAQ for the multiplayer?

http://pastebin.com/pxjhLhdt (log)
http://i.imgur.com/JQWEOug.jpg (Error)

Comments

• sh0sh1n wrote:
    This is another one of those super noobie first posts from someone who's trying to learn how to use the Shell to host a game. (Note I'm on 1.15.7)
    Hello! The Shell definitely could use some improvements to make it more user-friendly, so don't feel too bad. :)
    sh0sh1n wrote:
    Anyway. So I run the Shell on any of the different WADs I have installed (tested in Single Player) and it doesn't get past the first step. It "fails to start the server" due to "No playable games found"
    It seems that the problem is that the server isn't finding your IWADs. At the moment you may need to manually tell Shell where to get the IWADs. In the Preferences dialog, check the Use a custom IWAD folder option and locate the appropriate folder with the [...] button.

(Note that the doomsday.out log of the server is kept in a different folder than the single-player log. In the Shell, when you start a server, you can see the server's runtime folder under the New Local Server... > Advanced tab.)
  • skyjake wrote:
    It seems that the problem is that the server isn't finding your IWADs. At the moment you may need to manually tell Shell where to get the IWADs. In the Preferences dialog, check the Use a custom IWAD folder option and locate the appropriate folder with the [...] button.

Perf. That did it. It's working swimmingly now, thanks for your direction!

I assume I can enter strings into the console that will allow me to set up the game for coop? Ideally I'd like to turn off friendly fire and set up so that a friend and I can play through the various campaigns together. From my foggy memories of the 90s, I don't recall playing any other multiplayer than deathmatch.. If it *can* be configured, how do pickups like ammo, armor and health work? Are they persistent (aka can both players pick em up) or do you have to take turns?
  • Yeah, the only way to interactively configure the server is via the Shell's Console tab. Here's how you can explore the available options:
    • Type server-ga and press Tab twice. It will print a list of the available game cvars.
    • Some cvars have a more detailed explanation that you can print with the "help" command: help server-game-deathmatch
    • Type the cvar's name to get its value: server-game-deathmatch
    • To change the value, type: server-game-deathmatch 0 — for instance, that will enable co-op mode.
    • You can look up certain words with: apropos respawn
    Typically you'll need to start a new map before changes in the values become effective. For this you can use the "setmap" command, e.g., "setmap 2", or "setmap e1m2".

There aren't that many options for the pickup behavior. In general, at least weapons persist in co-op games so all players can pick them up. I can't recall the exact behavior for the other items...