Multiple versions?

Is there any way to use multiple versions of DE on the same machine?
I'm guessing not, just making sure.
I wanted to learn about 2.0 but right now I'm still using 1.15.

Comments

• yes there is have the 2.0 in another directory
  • You can have multiple versions installed in different directories, yes. However, you should be careful about not mixing their runtime directories because it is possible that the newer 2.0 builds have incompatible persistent configuration data, and that may cause problems for the older builds. The older build might for instance decide to reset the persistent configuration if it thinks it's "corrupt" due to being too new.

In practice, though, if you run the stable builds via Snowberry, (on Windows) it puts the runtime folder under "Documents\Doomsday Frontend" while the 2.0 unstable builds put it under the hidden "AppData\Local\".
  • skyjake wrote:
    You can have multiple versions installed in different directories, yes. However, you should be careful about not mixing their runtime directories because it is possible that the newer 2.0 builds have incompatible persistent configuration data, and that may cause problems for the older builds. The older build might for instance decide to reset the persistent configuration if it thinks it's "corrupt" due to being too new.

In practice, though, if you run the stable builds via Snowberry, (on Windows) it puts the runtime folder under "Documents\Doomsday Frontend" while the 2.0 unstable builds put it under the hidden "AppData\Local\".

Ok thanks, this is good to know!
    I was looking for the runtime files today and didn't find them! ;)