Old ded mods and hosting

edited 2009 Oct 7 in Addons for DOOM
Hello everyone,
First of all, did our account information not get transfered from forums.newdoom.com? It would seem not, but I didn't read too much into everything. In any event, it's me primus1236, now primux; because I know all of you care so much.

Anyways, I've got some old DED mods, like BAM's BFG particle effects, and Plasma Gun effects, and don't see them hosted anywhere. Is there somewhere I could upload them? If not, I've got my own server on which I can host them, which brings me to my next point.

I have my own web server that I run on a P3 box here at my house. I'm only on cable, so it's not lightning fast, but I could host some small mods or ded files with particle effects and whatnot. Would this be of use to anyone? If so I could go ahead and write the PHP script for uploads and mod management, it wouldn't take me long, and I'd really like to be able to contribute to the project.

Let me know,
-Primux

Comments

• The idea of this subforum is to talk about Mods or Addons that are in production, and to provide hosting for them if needed. I offered my Unlimited Bandwidth, 10GB+ server space and my web design skills to the guys here with a similar offer, and that's what I learnt.... I came to realize that it's better that way, we don't want to seperate the Doom community any more than what it already is :(

To see the thread at great length where we all talked about it, check it out : Doomsday Community Site - Your thoughts?

If they are not yours though, I don't think it's very nice to share around other peoples creations without their permission... :-/ If you want to share the mods from your archives, I think it'd be best to just signup for a Rapidshare Collectors Account (Free) and dump them there, then create a new thread in the relevant section.

Just my two cents incase the higher-ups don't reply straight away.
  • I have always had troubles hosting just .ded files because people generally would not know how to load them.
    But maybe they need to be put in a pk3 and uploaded? I think that muight be good. it's just an idea.
  • If they are not yours though, I don't think it's very nice to share around other peoples creations without their permission...
    BAM initially made the mod for everyone and it was hosted on one of the newdoom hosted sites that has since been removed because it's creator is no longer an active part of the community. In the ded files, BAM credits himself (and I believe a co-author) with their creation. It's not as if I'm handing these out with my name on them. I just want everyone to be able to see the great work that this former member of the Doomsday community had to offer.

There are a lot of "lost mods": Great addons that people made quite some time ago that jDoom users cannot use unless they've been downloading every mod and addon that's been posted in the forums in the past 5 years. I just think it's a shame that just because someone's a new user of jDoom, that they shouldn't be able to see/use all of the cool effects and modifications that we long time users have.

So what is that? A yes, or a no? I've got tons of old stuff, from xerxes' weapons mods, to BAM's particle effects, to DaniJ's MultiFX, and the jDSP with ambient sounds. It just seems a shame that it should be lost to the community forever . . .

-Primux

P.S. I made a post back on the newdoom forums, asking about whatever happened to jDoom Arena. The developers of the mod talked about it for a while in the thread, and they all exchanged the files, but it was never made available again. Does anyone still have those files? Could we make that available again? I know it only works on the 1.8.x versions of doomsday, but it was a great mod, and I'm sure people would be willing to have the old version installed too in order to play it. *shrug*
  • i don't think jdoom arena was finished and it looked so good to and yes all the old ded files are there for people to use and i for one might like to see them agen.
  • edited 2009 Oct 6
    Yeah, there are a lot of lost mods... Just do what you feel like doing, I don't see anything wrong with it. KuriKai didn't object so... *thumbs up*

In regards to jDoom Arena, better off waiting for Beta 7 at least ( See http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Roadmap ). I've been keeping my cool trying to learn as much/as little as I think I need without throwing it all out the window once it arrives, what with DS completely replacing DED's and so on.
  • To avoid any potential confusion I just want to state that we currently have no plans to support UDMF format maps.

EDIT: Damn, you're quick on the edit button JonusC :))
  • Oh yeah... I posted before confirming my statement on the Wiki. I need to learn to proof read before actually posting... but that's a final cut ;)

EDIT: I thought I might add... I'm just about weeing my pants waiting for Beta 7. I could checkout of the repo to start now but I'd rather wait until it's closer to release to start porting Doom Wars over to Doomsday >:)
  • isn't beta 7 already out? or did you mean 8.
  • I believe when they are talking about beta 7 that they mean the jump from beta 6.x to beta 7.x or so it seems when I look at the http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Doomsday_version_1.9.0-beta7
  • Gordon wrote:
    isn't beta 7 already out? or did you mean 8.

At time of writing, Deng release is in the sixth major - 6.7, beta seven is the next major towards Deng2 and will reflect the first big step (in my opinion) towards the new Deng as we know it since 1.9 started. http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Roadmap
  • ah i see i was not looking at the 6 rather the .7
  • yeah thats understandable, especially if you dont dabble in the open source and/or linux world too much. Most of us are just used to seeing 'beta1' followed by 'beta2' and etcetera, without the minor (beta1.0, beta2.0). With a large and frequently updated project like doomsday though it makes sense.

FYI, defacto versioning is usually at four decimal points : for example, v1.2.3.4, where format is MAJOR.MINOR.REVISION.BUGFIX/BUILD - but most devs these days dont worry about the bugfix/build number as its rarely necessary for public display, just like the Deng team (Doomsday v1.9.0). But for software in production, or huge software (like an operating system, eg Windows NT v6.1.0.7600 = Windows 7) its a must. Of course thats not a hard rule - some prefer a date scheme (v2009.10.7 = released today) and others use a letter for bugfix builds for instance.

Way off topic, but some handy trivia nonetheless :P (this thread has been already answered anyway hehe)