Some suggestion to a newbie

edited 2015 Nov 8 in General
Hi,
just discovered and installed Doomsday Engine on my MacBook Pro (late 2008) and... it is GREAT, thank you! :D

A couple of questions (I'm using latest stable version).

- I'd like a "full pixelated" rendering with only lights and particles improvements: I've set yet a custom profile but actually I'm not able/I can't find an option to disable sprite filtering on player weapons (hands) and menu text. Is this possible somehow?

- actually with a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB I get 54 FPS... I'd like a full 60fps experience or a 30fps cap (I'd like to avoid variable FPS). What are the most hardware-demanding audio and video options (and why my list of display modes is empty?)

- last but not least: it is possibile to run a Doomsday Multiplayer server on a Raspberry Pi? :D

Thank you very much!

Comments

• scandy wrote:
    I'd like a "full pixelated" rendering with only lights and particles improvements: I've set yet a custom profile but actually I'm not able/I can't find an option to disable sprite filtering on player weapons (hands) and menu text. Is this possible somehow?
    The filtering of player weapons and menu text is controlled by the settings Materials > Bilinear Filtering > Sprites and Materials > Bilinear Filtering > User Interface in the appearance editor sidebar.

Is the filtering disabled as expected if you select the Vanilla profile?
    scandy wrote:
    actually with a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB I get 54 FPS... I'd like a full 60fps experience or a 30fps cap (I'd like to avoid variable FPS). What are the most hardware-demanding audio and video options (and why my list of display modes is empty?)
    On OS X, Doomsday always uses the desktop resolution and changing the display mode is not supported. However, you can lower the resolution of the game view using Renderer Settings > Pixel Density.

If the GPU is your bottleneck, and a lower pixel density doesn't help, you could try disabling the Bloom option and/or antialiasing.
    scandy wrote:
    last but not least: it is possibile to run a Doomsday Multiplayer server on a Raspberry Pi?
    I have done so in the past. :) It does require manually compiling from source, though, and that may take a while on a Raspi. Having a Raspi 2 would be recommended also from a runtime performance point of view, although my old v1 did run it acceptably.
  • Hi and thank you very much for your reply.
    Even if I select the Vanilla option, weapons, text menu and characters sprites in the selection screen remain filtered. :-/
    In my Custom preset I've deactivated all filtering in Material.
    Thank you
  • scandy wrote:
    Even if I select the Vanilla option, weapons, text menu and characters sprites in the selection screen remain filtered. :-/
    I recall having a similar problem on a MacBook Air with Intel HD Graphics chipset. It could be an Intel drivers issue that it doesn't want to disable the filtering for Doomsday's drawing code — that part of the renderer relies on pretty ancient OpenGL 1 fixed-function pipeline.