Game simply will not play

edited 2009 Oct 13 in Technical Support
Hi
I am working in a Windows Vista SP2 OS with an 256 MB ATI Radeon X1300 PRO Graphic Adapter.
I installed the doomsday engine and the shareware DOOM wad
Whenever i click 'play' I get three successive dialog windows saying: Sys_CriticalMessage: Main window not available, followed by a fourth dialog window saying: Error creating main window.
Contents of my doomsday.out file:

Z_Create: New 32.0 MB memory volume.
Con_Init: Initializing the console.
Executable: Version 1.9.0-beta6.7 Sep 30 2009 (DGL).
Sys_InitWindowManager: Using Win32 window management.
Z_Create: New 32.0 MB memory volume.
createContext: OpenGL.

What is wrong?

Thx

Erik

Comments

• Try updating your video card drivers to the latest available for your card.
  • No, my video card has the latest drivers. It must be some other problem

Erik
  • This particular situation generally only occurs when your video driver is misreporting support of pixel formats (i.e., saying it supports a video mode when it doesn't).

Try running the game in a window and/or changing resolution and see what happens.
  • If DaniJ's suggestion doesn't work, please run DxDiag, save the results to a file and upload it here.
  • Thanks for the answers guys

Game still doesn't play. I tried with several combinations of resolution, and tried to run the game in a window. No luck.

I tried to append the output file of DxDiag. But the forum does not accept .txt extensions. So I'll copy and paste the contents in the body of this post. Snipped a little since I exceeded the maximum character count.

Doesn't look promising, but then again I'm not a techie.

Ciao

Erik
    [code]
    System Information
    Time of this report: 10/6/2009, 19:42:49
    Machine name: RIKMIEKE
    Operating System: Windows Vista
  • You're running drivers from 2006. The latest drivers for your video card are version 9.8, not the 7.4 version you have installed.

Check here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/w ... pe=Windows Vista - 32-Bit Edition
  • Oh.

I thought that going to my device manager, right clicking on the graphics driver, clicking properties and then updating driver, would do the trick.

OK, through your link, my graphic card driver has been updated, system has rebooted.

But alas, the problem remains.

Something else I need to upgrade?

Erik
  • I see you guys have thrown in the towel...

Well, can't say I blame you. The problem is most likely unanswerable. Just my luck...

Thanks anyway for the effort.

Perhaps I'll play some Myst instead....

Ciao for now

Erik (Lord Anacho) Arfeuille
  • Dani, would having the OP install the latest version of DirectX 9 alongside Vista's DirectX 10 make any difference whatsoever? I know the switch was made to OpenGL but is there anything in there that might still require DX9?
  • The problem is the graphic card from what I've been researching. What you need to do is upgrade it to something more current. At the very least you should get a 3800 series card if you plan on sticking with ATI. Maybe a 3870 HD, which is not too expensive at all.