Playing from mounted ISO image

edited 2015 Jul 28 in General
Hi,

Is it copy protection that prevents me from playing the Doom2/UltimateDoom by mounting an ISO image on my HDD with the loopback device in Linux or some other unfathomable problem? I get 0 playable games using this method but it works fine if I use the actual CD.

Can't seem to find the answer via google or searching on this forum or the wiki.

Thanks.

Comments

• Please elaborate a little. How are you starting the game? Could you paste here your command line, for example, if that's what you're using.
  • I'm starting the games using Snowberry, it says version 1.5, and it was some time ago I built it... Arch Linux 64bit.

I'm just experimenting a bit, there's something peculiar going on...
  • 3 partitons: / (ext3), /home (ext3), /mnt/Data (ext4). I put the ISO in /mnt/Data/ISO/Doom2.iso. I made the /mnt/Data/Doom/Doom2 mountpoint and mounted the Doom2.iso to it. My user had read permissions to access it. Doomsday would not detect DOOM2.WAD in that folder when selecting it. It wasn't a permissions problem: I copied preserving permissions to my home directory and then Doomsday would detect. Not sure if it didn't like it because it was a mount on a mount on a mount? But mounting it on a MP in my home folder worked so why not? I tried various permutations of permissions and copies under /mnt/Data and Doomsday wouldn't have any of it but would successfully detect a DOOM2.WAD on a NAS drive mounted via NFS. Doomsday didn't detect a WAD copied to /mnt either, but would happily detect a WAD copied under /Doom2.

Making a new mountpoint for the ISO under /mnt/ISO-mounts/Doom2 and mounting the ISO there and the WAD is detected so I'm happy now. Not sure why I don't just copy the WAD though rather than mess about with mounts and stuff.
  • if you set up doosday correctly AND pointed it to the main wad file it should work