No saved games after update

edited 2015 Jun 16 in Technical Support
Hi all,
I am not sure if this is an issue or it is what happens when you upgrade Doomsday Engine.

I was running 1.14 and only had Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders setup. I had a full set of saves all at different parts of the game.

I backed up both my Heretic folder to 'Heretic - Copy' and Doomsday folder to 'Doomsday - Copy' before installing the 1.15 over the top of the previous installation.

After going through the install procedure everything seemed ok until I ran the game and all the save slots are empty.

Is there anything I can do to get my saves back? I have tried removing the fresh install and renaming back the copied folders but no luck.

TIA
Prof72

Comments

• There were no changes to where/how savegames are managed in 1.15 and upgrading from 1.14 should not affect this. (Note that by default your savegames are not stored in the Doomsday application folder).

Which OS are running?
  • Running 8.1 x64 Pro (this is my PC I use at work).

I was trying to find where the saves are stored before I updated so I could make sure they were backed up but I could not find anything obvious (to me).

Perhaps I could run recuva if you know the folder where they should have been?
  • Not sure if this is relevant, but before I updated to 1.15 the game on the left actually had the full title of 'Heretic Shadow of the Serpent Riders' but after the update when I had to point it to the game folders again it now only says 'Heretic'.

*edit* ok so, I figured out why it didn't list the game with the full title and that was because there are 3 options for heretic in the setup wizard. I chose the wrong one. However I have noticed that this new build keeps saving a 'Documents\Doomsday Frontend\' on mu U drive. I am pretty sure I don't remember seeing this folder on that drive previously (It is a network share that is called after my windows username).

TBH it's no biggie I can start the game again at the chapter I was on, so I tried a completely fresh install of everything but it insists on installing a folder to my U Drive , which I don't really want to do as this is a drive other people have access to. Any way I can force it to save it's data to C or D ? (I am choosing c:\Games\Doomsday\ as the folder when installing)
  • Update: I decided to uninstall and disconnect the network share drive U:

I reinstalled and after Doomsday is launched it errors:-

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "snowberry.py", line 44, in <module>
    File "snowberry.py", line 33, in main
    File "sb\profdb.pyo", line 213, in restore
    File "shutil.pyo", line 52, in copyfile
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'U:\\Documents\\Doomsday Frontend\\profiles\\defaults.prof'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "snowberry.py", line 44, in <module>
    File "snowberry.py", line 33, in main
    File "sb\profdb.pyo", line 213, in restore
    File "shutil.pyo", line 52, in copyfile
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'U:\\Documents\\Doomsday Frontend\\profiles\\defaults.prof'
  • When you played previously, how many episodes were available to you in Heretic? Shadow of the Serpent Riders is the full retail version of the game and features five episodes, two more than the standard version.

Which version(s) of Heretic are listed by Doomsday in the home screen / task bar?

It sounds like you were previously playing a different version of the game.

By default your save games are stored along with your other user data in c:/users/<user-name>/documents/doomsday frontend/
  • Ok I think I know what is happening.

In Windows 7 and above there is a registry key under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment" called HOMEDRIVE, this is set to U:

From what I gather (using my programming and windows knowledge and a bit of googling) this is used for programs that use the windows XP method of getting the folder to store user documents. SO I am guessing there was a folder on my U drive that I must have deleted before the update without realizing what it was, doh, my bad.

Thanks for the replies much appreciated :)