[RESOLVED] Slackware X crash

edited 2015 Feb 11 in Technical Support
Hi all :)
I'm writing to search a solution with a problem I'm facing with. I always played Doom under Doomsday launching it with the command

doomsday -iwad MYHOME/.doomsday/wads/doom.wad

on the same Slackware machine (actually I'm using Slack64 14.1 with Nvidia proprietary drivers for my GeForce 8600GTS instead of the Nouveau blacklisted) until about 20 days ago: It started to crash X and so no more Doom.
Can someone help me? I'm here for every .log/document you need to try to resolve my problem.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• It would be helpful to see your doomsday.out (probably in "~/.doomsday/runtime/"), that shows your exact version number, any resource packs, etc. you're using.
  • Thank you Skyjake :)
    Here is my .doomsday/runtime/doomsday.out

Application path: /usr/bin/doomsday
    Created a new 32.0 MB memory volume.
    Executable: Doomsday Engine 1.14.5 (Stable 64-bit) Feb 4 2015 19:52:04
    Command line options:
    0: doomsday
    1: -iwad
    2: .doomsday/wads/doom.wad
    RenderSystem: Loading shader definitions from read-only archive entry "data/renderer.pack/
    shaders.dei" [path "/data/doomsday.pk3/data/renderer.pack/shaders.dei"]
    from archive in read-only "(basedir)/data/doomsday.pk3"
    Joystick_Init: Joystick name: Game USB Joystick
  • Just to eliminate it and given that the last line is about your joystick; have you tried running Dday with it unplugged?
  • What video card you using? what driver?
  • @Vermil
    Yes, nothing changed

@Kurikai
    The latest proprietary drivers from Nvidia for my GeForce 8600 GTS.

When X crashes, I receive messages about Fatal IO error - Client killed and Fatal IO error 11 from KdeInit (I'm using Xfce). If it helps, I always compiled Deng from it sources with this procedure from Doomsday directory (and it always worked...):

mkdir temp
    cd temp
    qmake ../doomsday/doomsday.pro
    qmake -r ../doomsday/doomsday.pro CONFIG+=deng_notools
    make
    make install

Many thanks for your interest :)
  • Have you tried the "-nofsaa" command line option when starting Doomsday? 1.14.5 defaults to antialiasing enabled.
  • also, is there any output in dmesg, /var/log/dmesg, or /var/log/syslog ?
  • Hi :)
    I've resolved the problem with a downgrade of the Nvidia official drivers. The first time Doomsday crashed I haven't installed a newest driver over the working one, I really have no idea how it's happened. But now I have my Deng again... :D
    Thank you so much guys for your interest and help