FOV Setting not working

edited 2015 Mar 8 in Technical Support
Hello all, first time poster, long time user/fan. Recently upgraded to a 3 monitor setup and was delighted when I saw that Doomsday supposedly supports 3 monitor setups. Right after I hooked up my 3 monitors I grabbed the latest build, fired up Doomsday, set my resolution and then became disappointed when everything was only being displayed on my left monitor. So I just moved on to trying other games on 3 monitors.

Decided to try again tonight with the latest build available, 1479. Everything renders exactly as it should except the FOV setting does not work. The FOV defaults to 105 (I think) which is fine for a single monitor but with 3 monitors it needs to be stepped up to ~150. I changed it to 150 but nothing changed. I tried switching from fullscreen to a window back to fullscreen. No difference. Tried restarting and again no difference.

Apologies if this is already known about but I wanted to point it out in hopes that a fix can get pushed through relatively quickly as trying to play the game on 3 monitors without the proper FOV setting is basically a no go.

I'm running, again, the latest build, 1479, @ 5760x1080p with all settings maxed out and all that.

If you need system info, log data or anything else let me know.

Comments

• It would appear this is due to a bug in the way the FOV angle value is being applied. I'll take care of it: http://tracker.skyjake.fi/issues/1987

Please check if the next build works better (available on March 6 at the latest).
  • Thank you for finally replying. I waited until the latest build was posted before I would reply again. I checked out the latest build and while it does seem that the FOV slider is working again, as expected, I feel my problem isn't totally fixed. I should say the game isn't exactly playable under triple monitor / ultra-wide setups and having done a screen shot comparison I think I know why.

First is a screen shot of the game @ 1920x1080p
    http://i.imgur.com/9EzOduq.png

Second is a screen shot of the game @ 5760x1080p
    http://i.imgur.com/eKNWr0E.png

Based on those two screen shots I would say that the game is being rendered vert- (vertical minus) meaning that aspect ratios like 4:3 and 16:9 will render fine but anything great than 16:9 such as 16:3 (what I'm trying to use) will not. The engine will crop the top and bottom of 16:9 image until it gets to a 16:3 image. The better solution is that it should render hor+ (horizontal plus) meaning that instead cropping the top and bottom of the image it renders additional info on the left and right until it reaches a 16:3 aspect ration that way.

The first way is like taking a picture and cutting away 2/3 of it while the second way is like taking 3 pictures and stitching them together.

This issue didn't dawn on me at first because when I saw the FOV slider not working I assumed that was it. Once it was fixed though and realized it wasn't making the difference I had hoped I realized then that the engine is rendering the game in a suboptimal way.
  • Some time ago DaniJ was working on real multi-monitor support: http://tracker.skyjake.fi/issues/1548

At the moment, though, we just support rendering to a single view plane, i.e., it is assumed that the monitors are next to each other and arranged in a straight line. As to the maximum FOV, one can force it even higher (up to 179 degrees) with the console variable "rend-camera-fov":
    rend-camera-fov 179

This may lead to rendering glitches, though, in certain areas.
  • skyjake wrote:
    Some time ago DaniJ was working on real multi-monitor support: http://tracker.skyjake.fi/issues/1548

At the moment, though, we just support rendering to a single view plane, i.e., it is assumed that the monitors are next to each other and arranged in a straight line. As to the maximum FOV, one can force it even higher (up to 179 degrees) with the console variable "rend-camera-fov":
    rend-camera-fov 179

This may lead to rendering glitches, though, in certain areas.
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying. I have 3 1080p monitors in an NVIDIA surround setup meaning that Windows sees all 3 together as one BIG monitor with a resolution of 5760x1080p. The left and right monitors are at an angle compared to the center monitor, so they're not PHYSICALLY in a straight line but as far as Windows is concerned they're in a straight line.
  • what he is saying i think is that right now dday has no multi-monitor support but to try and change the fov to help with the problem.
  • DaFees wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying. I have 3 1080p monitors in an NVIDIA surround setup meaning that Windows sees all 3 together as one BIG monitor with a resolution of 5760x1080p. The left and right monitors are at an angle compared to the center monitor, so they're not PHYSICALLY in a straight line but as far as Windows is concerned they're in a straight line.
    To clarify, Doomsday does not support multiple monitors in the kind of setup you have. The only supported way to render the game view is as if you had one large, flat monitor (physically or virtually). Therefore if you just increase the FOV, the areas on the far left and right will just get more stretched out.

In a setup where the monitors are physically at an angle, the 3D projection should also be adjusted to account for the difference in the projection planes. This has not been implemented.