Doomsday engine runs VERY slow in OS X Yosemite

edited 2014 Dec 22 in Technical Support
After upgrading to OS X Yosemite, when my macbook pro has network connectivity (wifi or ethernet enabled) Doomsday runs VERY slowly (spinning beach ball of death) but when I turn off wifi/ethernet it runs fine but, of course, multiplayer is unavailable. Also, there is a warning sign ( ! in a triangle ) at top left.

Comments

• What does the alert (the warning triangle) say when you click on it?

You need to open the taskbar (by default bound to ` or accessible via the options menu), to bring up a cursor you can use to click on the alert.
  • Thanks for the reply. It says that textures and whatnot weren't found or loaded. I ran the first episode of Doom II in single player and the only item in the somewhat secret area at start was a chainsaw. I've since downgraded back to 1.13.2 because the multiplayer gui does see the local server where the gui in 1.14.5 did not. I'm going to boot from OS X 10.7 from an external drive and see if it works properly. I will report back.
  • One way to diagnose these things is to use the Activity Monitor app and take a sample of the process that seems to be stalling. That way we could gain some insight into what the program is trying to do or what it is waiting for. So when you have Doomsday beach-balling, you could try opening Activity Monitor, then locate Doomsday on the list of processes, and select "Sample Process" from the gear menu.

sample_process.png

On the whole there should be no Yosemite specific problems; I've been running Doomsday on Yosemite for several months now without major issues.
  • Thanks for the replies! I installed 10.8 on a USB stick and it works fine in all ways when booted from it. For some reason, after doing all of this rebooting, the engine works in Yosemite again but it will not work in conjunction with the shell. Skyjake, since you have had no problems with Yosemite it must be specific to my machine.