[Released] Repackaged jDEP skyboxes

edited 2010 Apr 1 in Addons for DOOM
So I finally got bored hearing/reading about issues with the old jDEP when running newer versions of Doomsday so I decided to do something about it myself.

Now available from http://files.dengine.net is every skybox model from jDEP, updated to work with Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6 or later and repackaged into a leaner and more user-friendly format.

I have carefully structured these addons so that it is possible to mix and match them between games. So for example, if you want to use the SKY3 skybox for DOOM2 in Ultimate DOOM you can.

Enjoy :)

Note that these addons do NOT retain the per-map fog settings which are present in jDEP. This is because I wanted to make use of the new Sky definition features and to put MapInfos in along side these would be rather illogical.

EDIT: In case you are wondering why I didn't put them into a single PK3, .addon or .box the reason is because with them available seperately you decide how you want to use them. If you want to put them in a jdep.box once you've downloaded them its simply a mater of creating the folder and dropping them in.

Comments

• Good thing I only got Doom1 levels finished so far :)

Thanks a lot DaniJ, i'll be trying this out as soon as I get home next week!
  • Very nice. Though I would have also continued to host the 1.8.6 version (maybe with a name change to indicate it as only being for 1.8.6) for as long as 1.8.6 is considered the "stable" version.
  • Hi daniJ. Man the work you guys are doing is awesome I must admit. I really enjoy playing doom with the updated graphics. Keep up the good work. Where can i obtain the updated skyboxes? The link you have provided can't be accessed due to excessive useage. Is there any chance you could upload it somewhere else? Or even to my email address? that would be awesome dude if u could. Thank you and thanks for doomsday.
  • Hi all. Sorry to be a bother. But if anyone has this re-released jdep pack could someone get in touch with me direct? or even set up a a link for it on rapidshare or something? it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps everyone.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Now available from http://files.dengine.net

No it's not.

Doomsday: Download archive
    The download archive is currently unavailable due to excessive use.
  • lol gary.. i would love to access the file from here but it is unobtainable. :) have u got it?
  • I'm sure you know I don't :P

Edit: Oh ,you were asking Dani. My mistake.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    So I finally got bored hearing/reading about issues with the old jDEP when running newer versions of Doomsday so I decided to do something about it myself.

Now available from http://files.dengine.net is every skybox model from jDEP, updated to work with Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6 or later and repackaged into a leaner and more user-friendly format.

Hi DaniJ,
    since addons cant be downloaded and I cant get hold of your repackaged skyboxes anywhere, can you provide instructions on how to convert JDEP to work with 1.9.0. I've got JDEP myself but I dont know what to do to make it work. Thanks
  • Hopefully the situation with addons will be resolved soon.

Updating it isn't a simple job, its not just a case of changing a few text strings. The jDEP has been completely rebuilt.
  • since now the torrent links are put on the main page, would it be possible to add the links to the skyboxes as well? Thanks.
  • KuriKai wrote:

Unfortunately it didn't. I got them, though. Thanks.
  • ok I've got them but I had problems making them work in the auto folder because doom-1's boxes were always loaded. What I did is to edit the ded files and add a line like e.g. "skipif not Doom2" for doom 2 deds, etc., as it was in the original JDEP. Now it seems to work fine.
  • Those addons are not designed to be loaded all together - as would happen if you put them all in an autoload folder. They are built to allow maximum flexibility so you can use any of them in any game mode (e.g., use a DOOM2 skybox in Ultimate DOOM).