No sound in doomsday

edited 2014 Oct 28 in Technical Support
Bought Doom Collectors edition off Ebay cos I played it years ago and its still some of the most amazing level design and I love the atmosphere etc.....
I thought I could simply get a wireless receiver , plug it into my pc , connect my wireless xbox 360 to it and i'd be able to play it just the way I played it on playstation about 20 years ago , but it wouldn't display correctly ( tiny corrupted box in the top left of the screen ) , and the whole wireless controller thing didnt work either.

Whilst searching for a way to solve these issues , I stumbled upon doomsday , and i managed to get it running with my original wads , and it looks awesome......absolutely great job the doomsday devs have done in producing something that looks way better than the original.

Only thing is....I have no sound at all. I'm getting shot in the back and I dont even know cos I cant hear anything.
Can anyone help me troubleshoot it ? ( I dont know how to post the log )

Also , if anyone has any ideas what I can use to control doomsday with an actual controller , rather than the keyboard and mouse , I'd be really grateful

Comments

• what sound driver are you using with it as doomsday comes packs with several and i know fmod works as i use it and for getting controllers working make sure it works in the windows game pad config tool then you need to make sure joysticks are enabled in doomsday then you need to bind the keys. hope this helps also if you could post the DDay.out file witch is a text document if you still have no sound that would be great.
  • edited 2014 Oct 28
    thanks for that...i'll be sure to try the fmod drivers.
    I mamusic so I have an audio interface with m-audio drivers , and asio4all drivers , but i dont see how i can access those , if its even possible.
    How do i get the DDay out thing....i mean how do i export it ?

also , where is the windows game pad config found ?
  • doomsday.out is a plain text file, given a .out file name extension (just like a .txt). You'll be able to open it in pretty much any text editor.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    doomsday.out is a plain text file, given a .out file name extension (just like a .txt). You'll be able to open it in pretty much any text editor.
    but where do I actually find it ?

also , where is the windows game pad config found ?
  • If you follow that link to the wiki, it explains where to find the doomsday.out log file.

Game pad controls can be bound in the exact same was as the keyboard and mouse, from the games' Options -> Controls menu. General input settings can be changed via the taskbar. You can also issue binding commands and change the configuration variables directly in the console, if you wish.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    If you follow that link to the wiki, it explains where to find the doomsday.out log file.

Game pad controls can be bound in the exact same was as the keyboard and mouse, from the games' Options -> Controls menu. General input settings can be changed via the taskbar. You can also issue binding commands and change the configuration variables directly in the console, if you wish.
    From memory , I thought i'd only seen controls for "joystick".
    Is it possible to use an xbox wireless controller with it ?
  • Joysticks and game pads are handled in pretty much the same way by Doomsday. What differs is how the axis controls are interpreted. Game pad support has been a little flaky in recent years but it should be possible to get a working set up if you are willing to spend a little time configuring things like the axis dead zones from the console.

I haven't an XBox 360 controller to test this personally, so I can't say whether it will actually work. Doomsday uses SDL2 for joysticks (and game pads), which *should* mean this pad will work similarly to most others, though.
  • what would you suggest as a controller then ?
    Im just looking for a similar experience to when I played it originally on the playstation. If I need to get a different type of controller , i can get one off ebay for a few shekels , but what would you reccommend ?
    I cant do mouse and keyboard cos i feel like i need 5 brains and 10 hands for all the keys.
  • I'll dig out my old Logitech RumblePad 2 and see how it works in practice, what configuration settings need to be changed etc...

Edit: Well that was a non-starter. After plugging in the pad and enabling joysticks (why??) from Input Settings, the default bindings weren't working. I then attempted to rebind the controls and was greeted with a series of alerts about unknown control names. I'm currently working on a few fixes to get this back into a usable state...
  • DaniJ wrote:
    enabling joysticks (why??)
    Nowadays the enabling option should be removed, yeah. It's a case of legacy cruft from the old days, and I mean like "14 years ago" old. There was a nonzero chance that if you had your joystick/gamepad device plugged in, it had not been calibrated properly and the player would be spinning around for seemingly no reason.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    I'll dig out my old Logitech RumblePad 2 and see how it works in practice, what configuration settings need to be changed etc...

Edit: Well that was a non-starter. After plugging in the pad and enabling joysticks (why??) from Input Settings, the default bindings weren't working. I then attempted to rebind the controls and was greeted with a series of alerts about unknown control names. I'm currently working on a few fixes to get this back into a usable state...
    Im guessing most people play it with a keyboard and mouse then ?
    Doesn't seem too optimised for a controller...
  • skyjake wrote:
    DaniJ wrote:
    Nowadays the enabling option should be removed, yeah. It's a case of legacy cruft from the old days, and I mean like "14 years ago" old. There was a nonzero chance that if you had your joystick/gamepad device plugged in, it had not been calibrated properly and the player would be spinning around for seemingly no reason.
    I see. In that case however, I would have implemented this a bit differently; ignore all axis input from joysticks until such time as a "strong enough" delta is received (i.e., far outside the dead zone), or a button on the device is pressed. Requiring the user to enable joystick support is quite unintuitive.
    Carbinax wrote:
    Im guessing most people play it with a keyboard and mouse then ?
    Doesn't seem too optimised for a controller...
    Indeed. At least historically, this is why we've not spent much time on gamepad / joystick support. Nowadays though this is something we absolutely do need to improve and plan to do so in future versions.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    skyjake wrote:
    DaniJ wrote:
    I see. In that case however, I would have implemented this a bit differently; ignore all axis input from joysticks until such time as a "strong enough" delta is received (i.e., far outside the dead zone), or a button on the device is pressed. Requiring the user to enable joystick support is quite unintuitive.

@Carbinax
    Indeed. At least historically, this is why we've not spent much time on gamepad / joystick support. Nowadays though this is something we absolutely do need to improve and plan to do so in future versions.
    yeah im desperate to play it , after buying the collectors edition and subsequently discovering I couldn't play it natively. Mouse + Keyboard combo just kills the experience for me as it doesn't feel intuitive at all.
    Those who grew up with spectrums , commodores and atari STs may prefer that kind of control , but to those who got into gaming with the playstation and using gamepads , keyboard and mouse input seems like a backwards step and very counter-intuitive , so I would hope to see that avenue being explored. Very surprised it hasn't been already.