Rift DK2 problem, and resetting to defaults

edited 2014 Sep 6 in Technical Support
I understand that DK2 support is brand new and apt to be buggy, but I thought I'd mention it here anyway. It's not very obvious what I'm supposed to set in the 3D+VR menu to make the Rift work, and if I set the 3D option to "Oculus Rift", the game goes 100% black, but continues running in the background as normal, sounds inputs and all.
I'm fairly experienced in making things work on the DK2 at this point, so I've tried the usual things like making it the main monitor. Nothing brings an image up.
The BIG problem is that now the game is totally blacked out, and I can't see anything, even on restart. Resetting options to default in Snowberry seems to have no effect, I can't figure out how to reset the settings within the Doomdsday UI itself.
Completely deleting the folders the game makes in the My Documents folder (for profiles and such) does do the trick and brings it back to normal, but apparently all of that isn't automatically regenerated, because now the game crashes on running a game.
A total uninstall and reinstall does the trick, but I don't want to have to do this every time I try an option my machine doesn't like and the lights go out.
Can someone tell me if there's a quick way to completely wipe a Doomsday install back to defaults? Googling has failed me on this.

Any response is appreciated!

Comments

• This touches on a related issue that also needs to be addressed:

Given the ability to change the display mode/render buffer configuration at runtime there is no guarantee that the values the user supplies will actually work. When changing the config the new mode should be tested first, i.e., switch to the new mode and then present the user with a confirmation dialog where they must click a button before a timer runs out. If the user fails to click said button in time then the previous config would be restored.

This should help to prevent getting into this kind of situation.
  • Thilus wrote:
    I understand that DK2 support is brand new and apt to be buggy, but I thought I'd mention it here anyway.
    None of the builds published so far are functional in Windows with DK2. I'm currently working on debugging the OVR setup for Windows.
    It's not very obvious what I'm supposed to set in the 3D+VR menu to make the Rift work, and if I set the 3D option to "Oculus Rift", the game goes 100% black, but continues running in the background as normal, sounds inputs and all.
    The black screen is due to a bug in Doomsday's OVR setup, where it incorrectly sets up the OpenGL rendering information for the lens distortion. The next build should fix this.

I should mention that with my machine I haven't been able to get the direct rendering mode working via OpenGL. The extended desktop mode seems to work.

I agree the setup is a bit convoluted at the moment. These are the current official instructions: How to use Oculus Rift

In the near future, I'll make it more automatic so that launching with Oculus Rift connected will configure at least the display settings for you. Unfortunately the current version of LibOVR seems a bit buggy, so there's some platform specific kludges involved, but this'll improve with time.
    A total uninstall and reinstall does the trick, but I don't want to have to do this every time I try an option my machine doesn't like and the lights go out.
    Can someone tell me if there's a quick way to completely wipe a Doomsday install back to defaults? Googling has failed me on this.
    You can restore the VR rendering mode if you set the "rend-vr-mode" cvar to 0 in your game's .cfg file (found in your runtime folder). Removing/renaming your entire runtime folder will cause everything to be reset to defaults.
  • Just thought that I would add that this most recent build (8/4/14) has fixed the issues and is in fact already one of my favorite Rift experiences. Doom just doesn't get old, even when applied to cutting-edge technology and methods.
    Thank you for building this into Doomsday! My household is having great fun with it, and I'll post more if we have any constructive thoughts or bug reports.
  • I'm not part of the team, just part of the family and I'm very happy to see that you are enjoying D'day experience. Welcome and happy gaming.