Very slow on i3 laptop

edited 2014 Aug 22 in Technical Support
Howdy all.
I've just installed doomsday_1.14.5 on a laptop, running intel i3, windows 7. Quite slow, sluggish, compared to my i5 pc. Is this to be expected? After reading the min. requirements I thought I shldnt have any problem..

Comments

• The difference is likely due to OpenGL performance differences. What kind of graphics chipset you have in the i3 laptop? (Doomsday prints the OpenGL driver information in doomsday.out.)

Make sure you have the appropriate drivers installed to run OpenGL with optimal performance.

Also make sure that Antialiasing is disabled in Video settings or using the "vid-fsaa" cvar. Low-end laptops usually don't have strong enough a GPU for antialiasing.
  • ok thanks.
    I disabled antialiasing, and updated the Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver. A little better, still quite sluggish compared to my PC.
    My PC is an i5 with GTS 250, u think laptop possibly just not up to the task?
  • You might want to have a look at this from tom's hardware. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/29430 ... ics-gaming I've seen many complaints around the net about intel graphics and gaming.
  • question how much ram you got in your lappy? if it's not 4 gigs or more then doomsday will run slow as i think you have 2-3 gigs of ram.
  • Hi gordon, yeah 4GB.

Post Fatal, thanks. I read a few forum threads about the card, looks pretty dismal :( Though some people chimed in talking about battlefield bad company 2 running fine, might install that & see how it goes. Also read that someone had some "turbo" mode enabled, I'll check that out too..
  • then you should be fine. do you have other apps running in the background as if there is they will eat up ram and if they do then that means less for your video as technically you have 4 gigs of ram for vid and processes so if lets say 3 gigs of that is taken up you only have 1 gig left for both video and ram so if a game requires a vid card with 512 megs of ram then you only have 512 left and if said game also need a gig of ram then you well have a slow game. you follow?
  • I follow. Cheers mate.