Oculus Rift DK2

2»

Comments

• I've now updated Doomsday's Oculus Rift code to use LibOVR 0.4.3 in upcoming unstable builds. There were some API changes in this release, so I had to modify the code a little.
    • Windows: Direct mode still doesn't work, which supports the theory that we'll need to revamp our OpenGL context management.
    • OS X (Yosemite): The DK2 low persistency mode seems to work now, however I couldn't get the head tracker to properly sync up with the HMD (lots of stutter). This used to occur sometimes with earlier LibOVR versions, however now no amount of OVR service restarting or tracker unplugging helps. Oh well, waiting for the next update...
  • Oculus SDK 0.4.4 has been out for a while now. This also comes with some changes for OpenGL.

Changelog:
    https://developer.oculus.com/history/#0.4.4-beta
  • Don't forget to apply the firmware update and new runtime.
    I am very much enjoying Hexen in vr, though there is lots of room for improvement. Judder in head tracking being the biggest problem at the moment. More on that later after I've played with some settings.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    Don't forget to apply the firmware update and new runtime.
    I am very much enjoying Hexen in vr, though there is lots of room for improvement. Judder in head tracking being the biggest problem at the moment. More on that later after I've played with some settings.
    i also had some judder untill i upgraded my video card from a 660ti to a 980...now its buttery smooth. im sure there are other ways to optomize it but that was a quick and fun fix B-)
  • what sdk is the current build using?
  • IIRC, it's using version 0.5.

The Oculus SDK is changing, though, in the new version 0.7. It is actually supposed to be available today, on August 20th. They're adding support for Windows 10 but I don't think any other platforms (OS X, Linux) will be supported for the time being. I guess that makes things a bit simpler, although I'm not planning to spend much time doing Windows development in the near future.

They say the 0.7 SDK is incompatible with previous ones, so Doomsday will require changes before we can start using the new SDK.
  • Oculus SDK 0.7: "This means the majority of existing Rift games and applications will need to be updated to 0.7 (or at least 0.6.0.1) to work with the new 0.7 runtime."

Looks like it would still work with 0.6.0.1 which might not be too different from 0.5. The 0.7 introduces bigger changes like using graphics driver support to render and display.
  • Some games with native vr support won't be upgrading http://vrfocus.com/archives/20054/elite ... atest-sdk/ This could be a smart move, why waste time trying to upgrade with every update? Best to wait until commercial release of vr headsets and then upgrade to final sdk.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    why waste time trying to upgrade with every update?
    Indeed, I'm thinking it would be good to wait a few/several months so that both the Oculus SDK and Windows 10 mature a little more.
  • I just tested the latest build 1691 on DK2. I had Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.0 installed. After encountering issues, I uninstalled and installed 0.5.0.1beta. Reboot etc., but ran into the same issues.

When the Rift is at the mode "Direct HMD Access from Apps", then when launching Doomsday it automatically starts in Rift mode with the stereoscopic view. But the display of my Rift stayed black. I verified with the Tuscany demo that it is working.

When the Rift is at the mode "Extend Desktop to HMD", then Doomsday doesn't automatically launch into VR mode.

Then I launched from "Direct HMD Access from Apps" and while running changed to "Extend Desktop to HMD". That seems to work. When changing Windows to clone the screen, then head tracking gets lost. So only by carefully moving the window from my monitor to the Rift I was able to play.

But then, it was a very cool experience! Finally seeing Doom in stereo and VR! For me, it helped to disabled all HUD elements and to enlarge the game screen size to maximum. Suprisingly, when moving the head around the frame rate didn't keep at steady 75 fps (Geforce 980, i7-4970K).

Is there a way to disable head bobbing?

Thanks for enabling that cool experience!
  • In the 3D&VR Settings dialog, there is a button for easily configuring relevant settings to be VR friendly, e.g., bobbing is disabled.

In the past, I haven't managed to get direct HMD mode working either. Not sure what is the problem. Hopefully future SDKs work better.

The FPS is probably low due to the inefficiencies in the current rendering code, which is not optimized for VR in any way. Over time, our goal is to make it run faster.

When it comes to the extended desktop mode, if it is enabled before starting Doomsday, it should be automatically detected and the window should be moved to the appropriate display. This feature could be currently broken, though.