Servers to the Master Server does not work

edited 2014 Sep 8 in Technical Support
This is not the first time confronted with the fact that the master server are displayed several servers that supposedly work. But this is fake!
I scanned the connection to them, and the connection is not possible, their ports are closed.

That the people did not suffer by connecting to these fake servers may make it possible to somehow scanner these servers, so that if remove them from the list. It is better to let it be an empty list.
Now the list are two fake web server: 1) Fuckers 2) Broiman. Do not try to connect to them, they do not work.

Comments

• There are two possibilities here:
    1. These are legitimate servers, but are behind NATs or firewalls that make them unreachable from the internet. Doomsday currently does not automatically ensure that the correct port forwarding is set up; it has to be done manually by the server operators.
    2. The servers really are not running and the Master Server on dengine.net has failed to expire their data.

We have long been planning to make improvements to the Master Server so that unreachable servers would be removed from the list. MP features, however, remain at a lower priority level so nothing much has occurred on this front.
  • If I run my own server there is no problem. My the server can immediately to connect anyone.
    Strangely it all.

Today, a new server "MATTLINKE" is also fake.
  • People! Much to ask to you. When you play on port 1.8.6 and older indicate this in the name of the server on the Master Server. Port 1.8.6 and older ports do not work on TCP, and for the older protocol, and this collaboration of old and new ports are not available.
  • If you are using an old version of Doomsday then its quite likely that the "fake" servers you are seeing are simply Doomsday Servers running a newer version of the network protocol and so 1.8.6 cannot connect to them.
  • To be honest, I do debate that the server called 'f**kers' might be questionable; it's been sitting there for at least 5 days now and I don't 'think' that the map has changed.
  • Might well be in that specific case. However aivar242 seems to be talking about the master server behavior more generally.
  • Danij

That's what I meant.)

It is interesting that appear in the server list is always the same skill level - a level 3. I guess people do not know how to edit the config file?
  • Can anybody explain to me why in the master server is the host on which the players can be seen, for example, 2/15, but to connect to it is not possible, because the port is closed. In this case, 2 people were connected to that host and play?
  • If you are referring to the server "Doomsday1" at 91.202.205.155 : 13209 that is listed on the master at the time of this post, then the reason you cannot connect appears to be because that server is no longer running.

The way it works is that Doomsday Servers that publish to the master do so by periodically (every couple of minutes) transmitting the availability of the game. This means there is a period during which the server might be listed on the master yet it isn't currently running.

I don't know how long that server has been listed on the master but clearly, its no longer running.
  • I have a suspicion that some of the players, creating the server, simply forget to open the ports in all places. Such as firewall, they opened a port in the router and forgotten, or not properly configured router. After setting up, they are waiting for clients, but for some reason, no one does not go to their server. ) That's why there is no connection with some servers.
  • People, please someone go to any of my servers into the game to check whether my port from the Internet. My host name of the master server "aivar242's Server".
    If you can not get into the game in multiplayer, write here.
  • Theres not much we can do on the master server end if the server is misconfigured. We could perhaps test a client handshake locally on server side, although that means duplicating client side logic on server side (which, as we've already discussed, is a bad idea).

It really is the server admins' responsibility to ensure their server is set up correctly. Part of that responsibility is to actually test a client connection.

I tried to connect to your "aivar242's Server" for Ultimate Doom, using the latest Doomsday 1.15 Build 1343 but the connection failed.

I know that multiplayer is working with this version as I have connected successfully to other servers. Are you certain that the problems you have been having are not a configuration problem on your end? I note you've had problems connecting to other servers, as a client, also.
  • I realized then connect to my server failed. OK.
    You're right, I have a frequent problem with connecting to other servers on the master server as a client. But this is not my fault, and wine servers. I have to connect to them, scan their telnet and they ports are closed, so the problem - it is logical. My guilt is not here. When the server port is open when checking telnet, then I have no problem immediately connect to the server.
    That you are not able to go to my server honestly say I'm surprised. Where there may be a problem with me? In the server configuration, or closed ports? Where and how to configure the server?