Doomsday 1.8.6 does not work as a client

edited 2014 Jul 20 in Technical Support
Hello. Doomsday 1.8.6 as the server works fine on Dengine.net. But as a client I can not customize it.
I enter in the box "Master Server's Adress" Dengine.net, port 13209, and then click Update. Appears for a second (Retrieving servers from master...) and then vanishes.
How do I connect a client to Dengine.net?

Comments

• why are you using an outdated version that dose not support network vary well? the latest one dose and it works.
  • I use Doomsday 1.8.6 because it does not slow down the engine. The game Doom should not even be minimal stuttering. Starting with version 1.9.0 doomsday became slow down. This is most likely due to the fact that the same engine 1.8.6 have been added innovations in the form of replacement configuration files "ded"; Snowberry and new multiplayer.

Is there a way to add the new multiplayer Doomsday to version 1.8.6 ?)
  • no and the new versions work 10X better. before we proceed what are your system specs
  • Core 2 Duo E8500 / gForce 8800 GTS 512mb / 4GB DDR3 1333 / Audigy SE sound card.
  • not bad you should be able to run the latest dday with nothing on but the default gfx now do you have stuff running in the background? being that you only have 4 gigs of ram if you have anything like torrents or other stuff it might cause dday to slow down.
  • Now the big question: - Will Doomsday 1.8.6 to work with other newer versions of Doomsday as a client and server on Dengine.net?
  • Dday does not support cross version multiplayer.

You must be using the exact same release (be it stable or unstable) as the server you are joining.
  • Oh, it turns out that it is necessary to negotiate the client and server to establish that the same version of Doomsday?) It's like a nightmare.
    Probably better to forget about that Doomsday has multiplayer, and just enjoy a fast gameplay on Doomsday 1.8.6.
  • Vermil wrote:
    Dday does not support cross version multiplayer.
    No, that is incorrect. Doomsday does indeed support cross version multiplayer. Its the network game protocol version that matters here and clearly 1.8.6 is using a much older version of the network game protocol.

If you want to continue using 1.8.6 for whatever reason then you should consider using manual server connection rather than using the master server.
  • Ok, my mistake. My apologies. If I could I would delete the above erroneous information.
  • Danij:

I for myself did your last port 1.14.5 portable. I removed all I do not need this folder Snowberry and a few files. I have a question for you: - Can I somehow bridge the engine from 1.8.6 port multiplayer capabilities 1.14.5? I looked at the engine version 1.14.5, I much now in this game do not need at all. This taskbar, and multiple video settings, different shell GUI, it's all I do not need. What now is in port 1.8.6, I even many. What is there to tune in this arcade game? Included it and ran through the levels.
    Or maybe you know how to make an engine in version 1.14.5 port as fast when turning the camera as in 1.8.6? I turned off the anti-aliasing and vSink and still the engine was slower than in version 1.8.6.
  • To be clear, there is no easy way to transpose the multiplayer functionality of 1.14.5 to 1.8.6 without a huge development effort. So much so that it is completely infeasible and we certainly won't be doing that.

Thus far you've been a bit unclear as to what it is that you are having a problem with. It would now appear that you are in fact talking about player input control? If so then you may wish to look at the taskbar's Input Settings page as there are several options here which allows this to be tuned to your liking. Perhaps its the mouse movement smoothing you object to?

Aside: Although you may think you don't need the "stuff that has been added since 1.8.6" I can assure you that there is considerably more to it than "just" some new UIs.
  • I certainly understand that the two versions of the different ports with different structure of files and folders is certainly not compatible. Just was the last hope for it, as I have you asked. With this question is clear.
    Now there was an idea to set the next port, which appeared immediately after the 1.8.6 version. This is my 1.9.0. Maybe this version will not be such lags with the engine. You say that the taskbar has sensitivity settings? Yes, I tried all of them, without even moving the camera jerks.
    In general, try to install the 1.9.0 version of the port, which is already with new multiplayer features, and it is possible that it will work with the 1.8.6 version of the approximate speed of the engine.
    I just met with port version 1.14.5 and I immediately raised the question: - Where are the multiplayer settings - level; complexity; jump; monsters in the level, etc.? In version 1.8.6 This menu appears when I click multiplayer game.
  • 1.8.6 is faster in general than 1.14.5 yes; 1.8.6 is not as visually advanced. 1.14.5 is also currently using the same rendering code as 1.8.6, inspite of more being asked of it, but Deng Team are slowly working on a new rendering and rendering code that is vastly faster.

1.14.5's player controls are indeed different to 1.8.6, due to new player input code under the hood.

Deng Team spent a lot of time trying to tweak the player input in the new code to feel like Vanilla Doom, but as they have stated many times in the past haven't yet/didn't quite succeed.

They have plans to return to it later.

Multiplayer hosting has been moved outside the main Dday engine to the Shell application. This currently has no GUI like the old 1.8.6 menu, though it will get one similar in the future. Everything that GUI could alter and much more, can be controlled with console commands in the Shell in the mean time.

You then join a Shell server from inside Dday and can have multiple instances of Dday open on the same computer and joined to a Shell server as additional players. Modern Dday actually supports 15 player split screen, but there is no GUI for setting it up or the player controls for each split screen player, yet (one has to use the console or manually write control config for players 2 onward).

The actual Multiplayer code has also changed under the hood since 1.8.6 to something far more capable and modern in 1.14.5. However, to sound like a broken record, it isn't fully optimized for Doom yet (i.e it hasn't received the amount of fine tuning 1.8.6's mp code had, yet).
  • Danij

You can tell me why all the new ports after 1.8.6 became so slowly on the engine?
    What slows it work?
    Is there anywhere a list of answers for each file that corresponds to the port?
  • There are various reasons behind the performance drop off. We've introduced various new mechanisms to separate the game from the engine and there is currently some under performing components in the renderer. We intend to address these during the renderer rewrite.

I don't know what you mean by "Is there anywhere a list of answers for each file that corresponds to the port?".
  • I mean a detailed description of each file, why is it needed?
  • I don't understand how that would be helpful to you? Are you thinking that you can remove files from the install and it will somehow speed up the renderer? (If so then thats not the case).

Are you running a bunch of addons? Try disabling those.