Doomsday and UDMF?

Hi again. Just wondering, why Doomsday engine doesn't support UDMF map format? It sucks that I cannot create modern-ish maps with new features like 3d floors and scripts because of that (and if I want to be able to play UDMF type maps I have to use either zDoom or GZdoom...).

Comments

• UDMF is an extensible, text based map container format. However, it is still firmly rooted in the design of the original id Tech 1 map format. The UDMF format does not automatically bestow the application with the features of any particular "namespace". The reason you can use 3D floors in ZDoom derived ports is because this is a port-specific feature that is extended to the mod author in a couple of different ways depending on which map format you happen to be using. It is not a feature of the format specifically - what you are actually asking for is support for the ZDoom namespace(s).

Doomsday will indeed support importing maps from UDMF. This is something that I have personally been working towards for a while now and you should begin to see some progress on this front in upcoming versions. However, this support will certainly not hit the ground with support for all the features of the ZDoom UDMF namespace(s).

Things are a fair bit more complicated in Doomsday. Unlike ZDoom (and every other Doom-based port), Doomsday separates resource management from the games and implements a layered, extensible architecture to split up resource management rather than lumping everything into a single executable. This means there are APIs between the game and the engine, between the engine and the map importer, etc..., and all of which need to be enhanced/extended to support any new map editing features.

Furthermore, we also plan to offer a built-in map editor within Doomsday itself in the near future. This in itself fundamentally changes how map resources must be managed. In Doomsday, maps are imported using a converter plugin into the "native" map format, which is then further processed to address the fundamental flaws in the id Tech 1 map format (which, are also present in UDMF, FYI). Once rationalized, maps are then made available to the games in a notably different, Doomsday-native format.

In short, there is a considerable amount of work involved in implementing an architecture for maps that supports both our long term design goals (map editor et al) and importing from foreign formats (such as UDMF). We are indeed working towards that end but it will take a while before this is fully realized (particularly considering it is happening within the greater scope of the Doomsday 2.0 redesign).
  • Hi DaniJ, thanks for the quick response!

That did clear up things very much, so thank you. Built in map editor sounds delicious. I know you must grow tired answering this but do you guys have any estimate when you'll be able to ship that version/editor? Late 2014, maybe?

Thanks again!
  • I can't give you a reasonably accurate ballpark ETA on when such things will be available. We are a very small team working to achieve a very complex design in our spare time. All I can really offer you is my assurance that we're committed to seeing that design realized, sooner or later.
  • and when it comes it will be awesome. now a question about the map editor will it be able to have multiple people edit/make a map or no?
  • Glad to hear the development going forward. Can't wait to get my hands dirty with the editor!