Not all hi res textures appearing

edited 2014 Aug 3 in Technical Support
I'm playing the wad Interception http://www.wad-archive.com/wad/cdaa2824 ... 05918ae1e2 with the latest hi res pack from august 2013 with the unstable #1252 build and I notice some textures are not appearing despite it being selected. For example, the off 'sw1loin' switch texture appears low res, but when I flick it on, the hi res version activates. This can't be right. I notice the same thing with some of the lever and button switched. Also I see it present in the pack like it should be, yet it isn't showing up in game. Here is an example of sw2satyr: c69pdSe.jpg

Comments

• I've just tested this mod configuration myself in the current unstable build and the hires switch textures were selected for all switches in both states. Are you sure you've not made some edits to the pack?

FYI: In cases like this the console commands listmaterials, listtextures, inspectmaterial and inspecttexture are very useful for determining whether the correct resource is being loaded. If a resource is classified as belonging to the "game" then it means Doomsday has determined its from the IWAD (thus the relevant selection behavior applies). If classified as "addon" then it means its determined to originate from some other source. If you find an IWAD resource classified as "game" that is not being replaced by a hires texture then your first action should be to double check you actually have one loaded.
  • when I did listmaterials, it does show the swlion listed and says def 0 or something. Maybe I will reinstall later on. Maybe the frontend is carrying obsolete data from previous builds and it is somehow affecting it.
  • I notice that if I allow externals with pwads, all the textures appear just fine, of course you may have hi res textures override custom wad textures, but if I turn off allow external with pwad, then some of those particular hi res textures involving some switches don't appear.

This is without external with pwads: http://i.imgur.com/Xz5Gyme.jpg

This is with external with pwads: http://i.imgur.com/uHbCtEG.jpg

Also, I did a complete install and even downloaded the new pack and this is how it happens.

Here is a picture of some commands I entered showing that the texture exists in an addon being used though clearly it isn't drawn in game: http://i.imgur.com/X6BpB5J.jpg
  • I can't reproduce this issue.

I ran the inception pwad and dhtp with no other add-on's loaded and inspect texture says sw2satyr comes from the Doom2 Iwad, not an add-on.

Perhaps you are running an additional add-on that includes a duplicate of the iwad texture or remaps it's individual patches (it doesn't matter if the duplicate(s) are identical to the iwad ones, dday still considers it a custom texture)?
  • edited 2014 Jun 13
    Here is a screen of what I have loaded: http://i.imgur.com/c3gcYsL.jpg

This is the Doomsday folder: http://i.imgur.com/S8wI7nb.jpg

addons: http://i.imgur.com/foYoSvA.jpg

My doomsday.out is very large, especially after using the inspect materials. The forum won't let me post it in code because it exceeds 60,000 characters. If I must, I can post it via PM instead of multiple posts...

Well, it doesn't seem I can upload doomsday.out here on the forum or PMs. Maybe you can point me to a good file hosting site for sharing non picture items. I'm looking but don't know which is best to use.

Edit: It still does this even when I'm only using the texture pack as an addon along with the interception wad. So it isn't the fault of other addons. Of course allowing external with iwads makes them all appear. I guess moving them over manually texture by texture in a folder along with allowing externals is the only way for me. Also, I use windows 7 64. I don't think you use the same OS.
  • The only way I can make all the texture appear is when I allow externals with pwads, but that covers the custom sky with a hi re sky and risks covering custom textures with hi res versions.

This is my doomsday.out with only the hi res pack and interception wad and the 'allow external with pwads' turned off:
    Application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday\Bin\Doomsday.exe
    Created a new 32.0 MB memory volume.
    Config::read: modules/Config matches version [ 2, 0, 0, 1256 ]
    Executable: Doomsday Engine 1.15.0 [#1256] (Unstable 32-bit) Jun 10 2014 08:53:20
    Command line options:
      0: ..\Bin\Doomsday.exe
      1: -basedir
      2: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday/
      3: -deh
      4: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday\snowberry\addons\intercep.deh
      5: -file
      6: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday\snowberry\addons\intercep.wad
      7: -file
      8: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday\snowberry\addons\deng-dhtp-20130813.pk3
      9: -sfxchan
      10: 16
      11: -notexcomp
      12: -game
      13: doom2
      14: -iwad
      15: C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM Collector's Edition\Doom2\DOOM2.WAD
      16: -userdir
      17: C:\Users\daniel\Documents\Doomsday Frontend\runtime/
    RenderSystem: Loading shader definitions from read-only archive entry "data/
                  lensflares.pack/shaders.dei" [path "/data/doomsday.pk3/data/lensflares.pack/
                  shaders.dei"] from archive in read-only "(basedir)\data\doomsday.pk3"
    ^ : Loading shader definitions from read-only archive entry "data/renderer.pack/
        shaders.dei" [path "/data/doomsday.pk3/data/renderer.pack/shaders.dei"] from archive
        in read-only "(basedir)\data\doomsday.pk3"
    Joystick_Init: Joystick name: 3274320
    OpenGL 3.3 supported
    Sys_GLInitialize: OpenGL information:
      Version:  4.2.11762 Compatibility Profile Context
      Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
      Vendor:   ATI Technologies Inc.
    Capabilities:
      Compressed texture formats: 20
      Available texture units:    8
      Maximum texture anisotropy: 16
      Maximum texture size:       16384
      Line width granularity:     0.125
      Line width range:           1...63
    ^ : OpenGL Extensions:
    ^ :     AMD extensions:
            conservative_depth, debug_output, depth_clamp_separate, draw_buffers_blend,
            multi_draw_indirect, name_gen_delete, performance_monitor, pinned_memory,
            query_buffer_object, sample_positions, seamless_cubemap_per_texture,
            shader_stencil_export, shader_trace, texture_cube_map_array, texture_texture4,
            transform_feedback3_lines_triangles, vertex_shader_layer,
            vertex_shader_tessellator, vertex_shader_viewport_index
    ^ :     AMDX extensions:
            debug_output, vertex_shader_tessellator
    ^ :     ARB extensions:
            ES2_compatibility, base_instance, blend_func_extended, color_buffer_float,
            compressed_texture_pixel_storage, conservative_depth, copy_buffer,
            depth_buffer_float, depth_clamp, depth_texture, draw_buffers, draw_buffers_blend,
            draw_elements_base_vertex, draw_indirect, draw_instanced,
            explicit_attrib_location, fragment_coord_conventions, fragment_program,
            fragment_program_shadow, fragment_shader, framebuffer_object, framebuffer_sRGB,
            geometry_shader4, get_program_binary, gpu_shader5, gpu_shader_fp64,
            half_float_pixel, half_float_vertex, imaging, instanced_arrays,
            internalformat_query, map_buffer_alignment, map_buffer_range, multisample,
            multitexture, occlusion_query, occlusion_query2, pixel_buffer_object,
            point_parameters, point_sprite, provoking_vertex, sample_shading,
            sampler_objects, seamless_cube_map, separate_shader_objects,
            shader_atomic_counters, shader_bit_encoding, shader_image_load_store,
            shader_objects, shader_precision, shader_stencil_export, shader_subroutine,
            shader_texture_lod, shading_language_100, shading_language_420pack,
            shading_language_packing, shadow, shadow_ambient, sync, tessellation_shader,
            texture_border_clamp, texture_buffer_object, texture_buffer_object_rgb32,
            texture_compression, texture_compression_bptc, texture_compression_rgtc,
            texture_cube_map, texture_cube_map_array, texture_env_add, texture_env_combine,
            texture_env_crossbar, texture_env_dot3, texture_float, texture_gather,
            texture_mirrored_repeat, texture_multisample, texture_non_power_of_two,
            texture_query_lod, texture_rectangle, texture_rg, texture_rgb10_a2ui,
            texture_snorm, texture_storage, timer_query, transform_feedback2,
            transform_feedback3, transform_feedback_instanced, transpose_matrix,
            uniform_buffer_object, vertex_array_bgra, vertex_array_object,
            vertex_attrib_64bit, vertex_buffer_object, vertex_program, vertex_shader,
            vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev, viewport_array, window_pos
    ^ :     ATI extensions:
            draw_buffers, envmap_bumpmap, fragment_shader, meminfo, separate_stencil,
            texture_compression_3dc, texture_env_combine3, texture_float, texture_mirror_once
    ^ :     EXT extensions:
            abgr, bgra, bindable_uniform, blend_color, blend_equation_separate,
            blend_func_separate, blend_minmax, blend_subtract, compiled_vertex_array,
            copy_buffer, copy_texture, direct_state_access, draw_buffers2, draw_instanced,
            draw_range_elements, fog_coord, framebuffer_blit, framebuffer_multisample,
            framebuffer_object, framebuffer_sRGB, geometry_shader4, gpu_program_parameters,
            gpu_shader4, histogram, multi_draw_arrays, packed_depth_stencil, packed_float,
            packed_pixels, pixel_buffer_object, point_parameters, provoking_vertex,
            rescale_normal, secondary_color, separate_specular_color,
            shader_image_load_store, shadow_funcs, stencil_wrap, subtexture,
            texgen_reflection, texture3D, texture_array, texture_buffer_object,
            texture_compression_bptc, texture_compression_latc, texture_compression_rgtc,
            texture_compression_s3tc, texture_cube_map, texture_edge_clamp, texture_env_add,
            texture_env_combine, texture_env_dot3, texture_filter_anisotropic,
            texture_integer, texture_lod, texture_lod_bias, texture_mirror_clamp,
            texture_object, texture_rectangle, texture_sRGB, texture_sRGB_decode,
            texture_shared_exponent, texture_snorm, texture_storage, texture_swizzle,
            timer_query, transform_feedback, vertex_array, vertex_array_bgra,
            vertex_attrib_64bit
    ^ :     IBM extensions:
            texture_mirrored_repeat
    ^ :     KTX extensions:
            buffer_region
    ^ :     NV extensions:
            blend_square, conditional_render, copy_depth_to_color, copy_image,
            explicit_multisample, float_buffer, half_float, primitive_restart,
            texgen_reflection, texture_barrier
    ^ :     SGIS extensions:
            generate_mipmap, texture_edge_clamp, texture_lod
    ^ :     SUN extensions:
            multi_draw_arrays
    ^ :     WGL extensions:
            EXT_swap_control
    ^ :     WIN extensions:
            swap_hint
    ^ :   Extensions (WGL):
    ^ :     WGL extensions:
            AMDX_gpu_association, AMD_gpu_association, ARB_buffer_region, ARB_create_context,
            ARB_create_context_profile, ARB_extensions_string, ARB_make_current_read,
            ARB_multisample, ARB_pbuffer, ARB_pixel_format, ARB_pixel_format_float,
            ARB_render_texture, ATI_pixel_format_float, ATI_render_texture_rectangle,
            EXT_extensions_string, EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, EXT_pixel_format_packed_float,
            EXT_swap_control, EXT_swap_control_tear, I3D_genlock, NV_float_buffer,
            NV_swap_group
    FMOD Sound System (c) Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2013
    Audio configuration:
      CD:    FMOD/CD
      Music: FMOD/Ext
      SFX:   FMOD
    Initialized 16 sound effect channels
    User-supplied IWAD path: "C:/Program Files (x86)/DOOM Collector's Edition/Doom2/"
    Locating "HACX - Twitch 'n Kill"...
     ! hacx.wad: missing 
     - libdoom.pk3: "(basedir)\data\jdoom\libdoom.pk3"
     => Not playable (incomplete resources)
    Locating "Chex(R) Quest"...
     ! chex.wad: missing 
    Locating "Final DOOM: TNT: Evilution"...
     ! tnt.wad: missing 
    Locating "Final DOOM: The Plutonia Experiment"...
     ! plutonia.wad: missing 
    Locating "DOOM 2: Hell on Earth"...
     - doom2.wad or doom2f.wad: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM Collector's Edition\Doom2\
                                DOOM2.WAD"
     => Playable
    Locating "Ultimate DOOM"...
     ! doom.wad or doomu.wad: missing 
    Locating "DOOM Registered"...
     ! doom.wad: missing 
    Locating "DOOM Shareware"...
     ! doom1.wad: missing 
    Selecting game 'doom2'...
    Path "auto" now mapped to "data\jdoom\auto"
    Path "auto" now mapped to "defs\jdoom\auto"
    Loading game resources...
    IWAD identification: 0x10424c4
    ResourceSystem > loadCompositeTextureDefs:
        Loaded all 428 texture definitions from "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM Collector's
        Edition\Doom2\DOOM2.WAD:(basedir)\TEXTURE1.lmp"
    ^ : Loaded all 432 texture definitions from "(basedir)\snowberry\addons\intercep.wad:
        (basedir)\TEXTURE1.lmp"
    Parsing primary config "configs\doom\game.cfg"...
    Def_Read: Parsing definition files...
    ^ : Applying DeHackEd patch lump #3878 "snowberry\addons\intercep.wad:DEHACKED.deh"
    ^ > DehReader: DeHackEd patch version: 6, Doom version: 21
    NoText: false
    Def_Read: Applying DeHackEd patch file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday\snowberry\addons\
              intercep.deh"
    ^ > DehReader: DeHackEd patch version: 6, Doom version: 21
    NoText: false
    Def_Read: Definitions:
    ^ :   30  animation groups
          6   composite fonts
          10  finales
          9   lights
          33  map infos
          7   materials
          27  particle generators
          3   skies
          36  songs
          110 sound effects
          138 sprite names
          974 states
          106 surface decorations
          46  surface reflections
          368 text strings
          11  texture environments
          140 things
    ResourceSystem: Model init completed in 0.00 seconds
    Available maps:
      MAP01-MAP32 snowberry\addons\intercep.wad

DOOM 2: Hell on Earth

S_StartMusic: Starting music 'dm2ttl'
    MasterWorker: Received 4 servers from master
    Loading game from "/home/savegames/doom2/DoomSav0.save"...
    Starting music 'doom'
    Loading map "MAP05"...
    Map > buildVertexLineOwnerRings: Created a new 32.0 MB memory volume.
    Current map elements:
      3313 Lines
      472  Sectors
      3397 Vertexes
    Forced pause for 28 tics

Map: MAP05 - dangerous curves
    Author: Unknown

Game loaded
    Game ended
    Unloaded game
    Z_Shutdown: Used 2 volumes, total 67108864 bytes.
    Restoring original display mode due to shutdown

• As far as I can see there is no problem with the hires texture suppression in Doomsday. It appears to work as expected in both modes for me and Vermil has confirmed the same (working) behavior on his system.

@gary It is looking like this is a configuration issue on your end (or perhaps a misunderstanding regarding the expected behavior).
  • "Map: MAP05 - dangerous curves"

One thing that has caught my eye from Gary's latest out file.

All three versions on the website Gary linked to, have the map in question in the Map06 slot: the Inception pwad from all three download links on that website are identical. One of the three downloads also comes with a readme and an external duplicate of the wads dehacked file (the dehacked file is also inside the inception pwad).

Given that the wad went through revisions (as shown by the readme on the mentioned website), maybe Gary is using a different version of it (i.e to the one on the website). Or Gary has altered it.
  • edited 2014 Jun 13
    This is where I got it from: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file= ... tercep.zip

I just did a test on normal Doom 2 and that texture appears fine when I went on map 7. So it must be the custom wad. Are you guys saying that when you load up interception and see that same texture, that it appears in hi res and not low res for you? Did you try Interception? With my settings, it appears fine in the normal Doom 2 wad, just not Interception. But most textures appear fine in Interception. Also I don't think it would be any suppression in Interception because the satyr on state or lion switch off state isn't a custom texture and the hi res version will appear even in Interception if I toggle to allow external with pwads. But it appears fine in Doom 2 on its own.
  • Ok, with that version of the wad, I am getting the same issue as you Gary.

With the different version of the wad you linked to in your original post, the issue doesn't occur.
  • The version of Interception you (gary) just linked to is different to the version I (and probably Vermil also) have been testing thus far. (When reporting bugs in future please provide links to the exact versions of any mods you are using so we can be sure we're testing the same configuration).

Indeed with this version of Interception I can replicate the issue you originally reported. I'll see whats going on...
  • I kind of forgot where I got it from and thought it was the same file no matter what website. I thought it would be the same no matter what link I posted in the forum. I didn't know it would have a bunch of different version laying around the web. But yes, it would be good to see what is wrong with that version I downloaded. That way I wouldn't have wasted your time. Almost an hour ago, I tried a different version (maybe the same?) and had the same problem and it was considered a final version here (same file size): http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/5 ... -released/

I tried the one above that I linked in the original post and it is working now. Texture appears like it should. Thanks for your time.
  • Just a quick update to say I've found the problem and am currently looking into a suitable fix.
  • I just opened map 2 of Plutonia and at the start of the map, I noticed that the fireblu animated textures appear and disappear every second or so and overlaps the rock texture. So you get the rocks appearing, but the switches back and forth to the fire blu texture as if playing an animated loop. I think I recall this issue long ago.
  • That one is a long standing oversight with the DHTP folder organization, not Dday. The FIREBLU1-2 textures in the DHTP root folder need moving into both the Doom1, 2 and TNT sub folders, so as not to be read by Plutonia, which repurposes that texture animation for the rock you mention, but still read by the other mentioned games.

At least until someone makes hi-res textures for the Plutonia rock animation; once made, those could go into the Plutonia sub folder, where they would overrule the root folder.

TNT and Plutonia don't add any all new texture animations and each simply repurpose some of the Doom1/2 ones.
  • However, there is also a long standing oversight in Dday's ded's with Plutonia's FIREBLU animation.

Dday includes a material definition that makes FIREBLU1-2 full bright (for reference Vanilla Doom didn't support full bright textures/flats), for the Doom1-2 and TNT animation. However, Plutonia also uses this material definition, when it actually needs it's own due to the Plutonia animation having a different number of frames to the Doom1-2 and TNT animation.

This mistakenly causes the Plutonia animation to flicker when it calls the frames named FIREBLU1-2.
  • Hello, I have a similar problem. I installed jdrp from the site and while most textures do correctly appear, some of them (mainly weapon and enemy models) do not load, and the game uses the default models instead.
  • TNT Evilution has a problem with a skull switch texture too appearing like the wall. I'm guessing it is known too