Problems with Mulyplayer player colors

edited 2014 Jun 11 in Technical Support
i was doing some testing and noticed that the only way to to tell your color other then the score screen but in the original heretic you had the health gem that showed you your color as well as the hellstaff book of power affect now is there anyway to tie thos 2 things to the player color so you can choose it as it stands now the health gem is red and the hellstaff book of power affect is gold/orange for player one witch should be Green.

Edit: further testing reveals that most of what i said was wrong is working but the Hellstaff BoP affect is not. it's like it wants to use player 2's color but using player 3's sprites except for when it hits the wall then it goes back to player 2's sprite if you use my hellstaff BoP particles you will see that it's using Orange players color not what it's suppose to be.

Edit2: i have only tested this with one person on a server so i do not know how it would work if 2 people are on the same server.

Edit3: a pic to show what i mean. 5rfa.png in this pic i am green but the hellstaff BoP is manly red with the wall hits being gold.

Comments

• I'm finding it difficult to follow your problem description, though I think I get what you mean.

I would first rule out any problems in your addon. Is this it? It appears you are changing the States, have you tried removing those? I noticed that your color mapping does not seem to match the multiplayer color selection menu (you're using the same sprites for all of them), did you realize? (check your State definitions, in the default states the sprites are mapped as follows; Player 1: FX20 (green), Player 2: FX21 (orange), Player 3: FX22 (red), Player 4: FX23 (blue)
  • In current Dday, as is my understanding, the server occupies the player 1 slot (has been that way since shortly after the Shell was added, IIRC). The first player to join an MP game is thus, player 2.

If I am reading what Gordon is saying, the game is using the right rain spawning mobj for each player, but said mobj is spawning the wrong colour rain: player 3's rain colour for player 2, the player 4's rain colour for player 3 and so on.

Given that, unlike Vanilla, Dday doesn't hardcode skin colours by player, I echo Gordon's suggestion that Heretic's Hell Staff rain no longer be hardcoded by player: that it be changed to be tied to the players skin colour instead.

Of course, it might be better to simply do away with the four colour limit, due to Dday supporting more than four players. In that Dday knows (and mimics) the colour ranges Vanilla uses; it could greyscale those areas of the sprites and allow the user to set their own colours for those areas, with RGB sliders. I believe that would also retain compatibility with mods that change the player sprites.
  • after removing my rain fx i found that it was the rain fx was correct for player 2 but the shell when i leave the server tells me that i am player 1 now Vermil has a goos solution but i do not know how that would translate to my particle FX.
  • As is my understanding, the shell is technically player 1 (and thus Dday supports 15 'real players' in MP, not 16 like it use to). Though Dday internally shifts all player number related things by one, to compensate for this (i.e things that were hardcoded to player 1 were changed to be hardcoded to player 2 etc). But, I imagine Deng Team probably missed the Hell Staff rain when doing this though; I recall testing Heretic MP since the shell was added and getting gold rain despite being the first player in the game.

Dday actually already has player controlled RGB settings for the automap lines. It also internally does for the message/STBAR hud numbers: in this case the output is a hardcoded red, regardless of the colours of the original graphics, which is an oversight.
  • I've reported the Hell Staff rain colour being one player off: http://tracker.skyjake.fi/issues/1820