I don't change Ultimate Doom level from E2M1 to E2M2

edited 2009 Sep 20 in Technical Support
When I finish level E2M1 of Ultimate Doom I restart E2M1 instead to continue to E2M2. I can warp to E2M2 but well it's surprising this basic doesn't work. Am I using the wrong WAD or what? I'm using Doomsday 1.9 b6.6 OS X version, no addon. And the WAD is coming from the Id Anthology Mac CD.

Comments

• Make sure you are using v1.9 of DOOM2.WAD. Also make sure you are running Beta 6.6 with the post-release hotfix DED's (check the announcement thread).
  • The Ultimate Doom's IWAD is DOOM.WAD. Besides, AFAIK, the Doom IWAD doesn't contain any information of what map is next.
  • Wow, I must of been in a hurry when I typed that! Well i dont think the IWAD will matter because I think there only ever was one version of the Ultimate Doom IWAD, not sure.

I just tested it and E2M1 map finishes properly for me in Ultimate Doom. Here - give this jdoom.pk3 a go (for Beta 6.6 only, this includes the map hotfix). Remove the .zip extension because .pk3 is banned for some reason.
  • edited 2009 Sep 20
    I checked the version of my ud wad and according to its size that's 1.9ud, yes probably only one version exist, I believed there was a Mac version but clearly not. I go check the fix you linked.

EDIT: Yes that fix you linked solved the problem, thanks for the help. One thing is strange, I renamed it jdoom.pk3, put it in addon folder, refresh addons and see it... with the name jdoom.pk3.zip. Ha well as soon as it works. :-)
  • yeah the mac wads are identical to the pc ones and interchangeable, back when it was first released on mac you had to buy the pc version then get the mac os binaries if i remember correctly (it was a good clean port)
  • edited 2009 Sep 20
    No Mac Doom was sold a lot later than original version but was a full Mac package. Well at least I have the Doom II full package, but I think that was also true too for Doom or Ultimate Doom.

I believed they have redo graphics for the Mac and SNES version to have them in 640*400 instead of 320*200 but I am clearly wrong they just implemented some tricks to increase graphics size dynamically.

The port was rather impressive anyway for it behavior similarities, most weird behaviors on some wads happened in an exact same way in Mac version, there's still few very rare bug special to Mac version with some later wads made with some later wad builders.

EDIT: Still about clean port and quite out of topic, the Mac port wasn't that good because the mouse support was a little weird with only one setup where up/down produced move forward/backward, and you could not change keys setup. Thanks a guy produce a fix allowing setup your own keys and disable moving with mouse to only let mouse look enabled. But this Mac Port had some nice features too like a standard file save (no weird in game limited system) and doom click on a pwad was launching the application and loading it automatically.
  • Wikipedia wrote:
    The Ultimate Doom and Doom II were released in 1995 by GT Interactive using a Mac OS launcher application to run original PC WADs. The Mac version only runs on Mac OS System 7 through 9.
    (via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_a ... oom#Mac_OS )

Ah that's where I fabricated my assumption from heh. Yeah well, SNES may be double res and have cool music, but those missing roof textures sure do look odd! Anyway let us know how it goes when you get a chance to try that pk3.
  • JonusC, I already report for the fix you provided me, see the post above, EDIT section. :-) And again, thanks for the help.

About the Mac version, I checked the Mac Doom II CD, there's the date 1995 but not sure it's the CD production date. But sure this GTI pack had a full Doom package. You should realize that in 1995 Internet wasn't widely spread. In fact Doom promote more BBS first, modems and enterprise TCP/IP Net use for gaming, before Internet become popular.

I probably have the Doom I Mac package too but not sure where I stored it. :))

EDIT: Mac Doom had all textures and was looking brilliant in comparison to PC version. :)
  • Do not put that fixed version of jdoom.pk3 into your addons folder and load it with Snowberry (this sounds like what you are doing Harag). Instead you should use it to overwrite the file by the same name in your Doomsday/data/jdoom directory.
  • Thanks for the advice but I could not find anywhere inside Doomsday OSX package such file structure.

The closer to it is deep inside a file doomsday.pk3 and in it after unzip, a data folder. But in this data folder, only 3 folder, fonts, graphics, keymaps.

Noewhere I see a jdoom directory.

EDIT: I finally found it, it's in: Doomsday Engine.app/Contents/jDoom.bundle/Contents/Resources/jDoom.pk3
    To open a .bundle it's like opening a package .app. And if I unzip jDoom.pk3, in it defs/jdoom/*.ded like doom1maps.ded