Arch Linux no music

jwmjwm
edited 2014 May 30 in Technical Support
Hi,

I've got the first Doom games on CD, copied to HDD. I'm running Arch Linux, have installed Doomsday via the AUR, from git, and can play Doom1, and Doom2. However while there is sound, there is no music.

I have rarely used Timidity or Fluidsynth so am unfamiliar with them, but have followed the instructions on the Arch Linux Wiki for installation and setup of them both.

When I use SDL_Mixer as the output, Doomsday says:
DS_SDLMixer_Music_PlayFile: Error /etc/timidity++/timidity.cfg: line 31: syntax error

The message corresponds to the following line:
soundfont /usr/share/soundfonts/FluidR3_GM2-2.sf2

Which is installed in the specified location.

All other lines in the file are comments or blank.

If I try the FMOD audo output, I recieve the following:
Warning: loadAudioDriver: Loading of "fluidsynth" failed.

I've tried running Fluidsynth as a daemon, and Timidity as a daemon (not simultaenously), (via systemd) and neither as daemon, none of which allow me to receive the music of doom.

I can use both Fluidsynth or Timidity to listen to MIDI files from the command line so they both are configured correctly.

Additionally, I have downloaded and installed the jDoom Music Packs though I'm unclear if these are required or not. I would expect the original game wad to provide the original music? Tried with/without.

Changing the in-game setting for the music source doesn't do anything either (and it always resets back to the default at next launch).

Setting music-soundfont doesn't start music playing.

Any other ideas?

PS I don't have Pulseaudio installed and don't really want it to. Hope this isn't a problem.

Comments

• FWIW, running gzDoom, I can get music with Timidity (and OPL emu) but not FluidSynth nor FMOD.
  • If I try the FMOD audo output, I recieve the following:
    Warning: loadAudioDriver: Loading of "fluidsynth" failed.
    (...)
    PS I don't have Pulseaudio installed and don't really want it to. Hope this isn't a problem.
    I don't know if there's anything that can be done with SDL_mixer (don't really use it myself), but here's something to try with the FMOD+FluidSynth combo:
    1. When Doomsday uses FluidSynth, it defaults to FluidSynth's pulseaudio output. Therefore, if you don't have pulseaudio, you'll need to inform Doomsday about this: figure out which audio output driver FluidSynth uses when you run it manually from command line, and then edit the config file ~/.doomsday/defaults accordingly. An example of this config file can be seen in our wiki: http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title= ... nfig_files
    2. Now start Doomsday with FMOD. The console log and Doomsday's About dialog should tell you that you are using both FMOD and FluidSynth.
    3. Set the cvar "music-soundfont" to the full path of your SF2 sound font. FluidSynth will use this when the next (new) song starts playing. Note that "music-soundfont" is game plugin specific, so you'll have to set it separately for each game plugin (doom, heretic, etc.)
    Additionally, I have downloaded and installed the jDoom Music Packs though I'm unclear if these are required or not. I would expect the original game wad to provide the original music? Tried with/without.
    Music packs typically contain MP3 files or other such format that can be played without any soundfonts. Without a music pack, the original MIDI music in the games is played with the user/system-supplied soundfont.
  • Thanks for reply. I have tried as suggested now, setting the driver to alsa, but still the same error in the doomsday.out, 'loading of "fluidsynth" failed'. I am wondering if perhaps I need to specify the midi driver? Here is the fluidsynth command line I'm running successfully:
    fluidsynth -a alsa -m alsa_seq -l -i /usr/share/soundfonts/FluidR3_GM2-2.sf2 ~/Downloads/mozk331a.mid

(Though it still works if I ommit the midi driver - alsa_seq)