Doomsday only shows image with Extension Limit on

Hi,
After installing the latest drivers from nvidia, any game I launch with Doomsday Engine will only show image if I set Extension Limit to on or any 00001xxx value in Doomsday Engine profile (I had to create it using nvinspector). However, I get missing extensions warnings in startup. Is this normal? I never had to do it before. I'm using the latest stable build, but every other gave me the same problem. I'm running on Win7 32 bits.

Comments

• Since it appears that Doomsday worked before the new Nvidia Driver installation maybe it is the problem.

I say this since I just updated my Nvidia driver to the latest version yesterday (Have WIN 7 64 bit)and I do not have this problem.

Below is a "short version" of the recommendations on the EVGA site for proper Nvidia driver installation (the long version is many pages long). Almost all of the following came from the EVGA site and I can make no claim to it except it seems to work for me.

If you still have problems after trying this, especially if with other programs as well you might want to see the LONG version which has many problems listed and some you may have too that interfere with the proper installation of a new video driver.

Hope this helps.

Proper Nvidia Video Driver Installation Procedure – Short Version

Shut down EVGA Precision (or any program that works with or monitors you video card) and uninstall EVGA Precision (Uncheck the box in the upper left that causes EVGA Precision to load with windows and then click the box in the upper right corner to close EVGA Precision)
    *VERY IMPORTANT: during the Precision uninstall a box will pop up asking to save data. You MUST answer -NO-
    After the uninstall is complete, REBOOT once (do NOT skip this reboot)

Now manually download Nvidia the driver of your choice.
    --DO NOT USE the GeForce Experience to download or install--
    *If you have the GeForce Experience installed, go to Control Panel/Programs and features and UNINSTALL it

After downloading your driver of choice...
    Launch the installer with Administrator Privileges, choose -only- CUSTOM Mode
    UNCHECK -ALL- Nvidia driver components, except for Graphics driver and PhysX (nothing else checked)
    *DO make sure the you put a check in the box for "Perform a clean install"
    Now install the driver
    After the install is complete, reboot your computer once (do NOT skip this reboot)
  • Which card do you have? This will have an influence on GL extensions. Mine is a GTX460. I always perform a clean install of the drivers and every other OpenGL game is working fine. The new Beta driver did not fix this.
  • I have a EVGA GTX680 (purchased 10/12 new). However, I would think if this was a very common problem more people would be complaining but you never know.

The GTX460 if I remember correctly was introduced about mid 2010 and was a "sweet spot" for price verse performance, so I would be very surprised if it could not handle DoomsDay just fine. In addition, at present I do not think the DoomsDay engine actually uses any of the hardware acceleration on a GPU anyway buy it will need to have the GL extensions as you mentioned. I think the DoomsDay engine is pretty much CPU speed dependent since an OC on my CPU will increase the FPS on Doomsday but an overclock on my GPU really does not give much of a FPS boost in DoomsDay.

The EVGA site claims that the number one problem with updating the video drivers successfully at present is people not properly uninstalling 3rd party programs that control or monitor their video cards.

Since you always do a "clean install" that takes care of the number 2 problem.

However, since your other GL programs are working fine hopefully, someone that knows more about this will jump in and help out.
  • Your card supports as many GL extensions as mine. Maybe it's happening only on Win7 32 bits.
  • My present understanding is that DoomsDay is a 32 bit program so people with a 64 bit OS (like me) need to run it in a compatibility mode. I have some true 64 bit programs and they are stored under "Program Files" in Windows 64 bit but most of my programs are 32 bit and they are automatically stored under "Program Files (x86)" in Windows 7 64 bit. Therefore, it would seem that Windows 7 64 bit seems to know the difference. Others have asked the DoomsDay Team for a true 64 bit version of DoomsDay but at present they are really busy I think and the 32 bit version seems to work just fine on my 64 bit machine so this probably is not a very high priority. As a side note I do have a couple of older 32 bit programs that will not work with Win7 64 bit but I chose to give them up for the 64 bit version since it allows me to access 16GB of 2133 MHz RAM which I occasionally need.

Have you tired going back to a known good earlier version Nvidia video driver to see if it helps with this DoomsDay problem?
  • It is not necessary to enable any special compatibility options to run Doomsday on Windows, 32-bit or 64-bit. Simply install Doomsday to the correct Program Files folder (the installer selects the right one for you, btw) and you should be good to go.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    It is not necessary to enable any special compatibility options to run Doomsday on Windows, 32-bit or 64-bit. Simply install Doomsday to the correct Program Files folder (the installer selects the right one for you, btw) and you should be good to go.
    I tried that too, but it still needs Extension Limit to be on, otherwise it will run with a blank screen.
  • Update: I created a custom profile for Doomsday Engine using nvinspector to use 64x Anti-Aliasing and 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling. Doomsday now runs with Extension Limit off.