Making enemy corpses disappear when using jDRP

edited 2014 Apr 17 in Addons for DOOM
I have a DEH patch which sets the death frame duration for all monsters to 60, meaning the corpses disappear a second or two after they die. When I don't use jDRP this works for all monsters. However with jDRP enabled it doesn't work for the ArchVile, Cacodemon, Baron of Hell, or HellKnight but does for all the rest. Here is my DEH file:
Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0
# Created with WhackEd4 1.0.2
# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Frame 193
Duration = 60

Frame 202
Duration = 60

Frame 226
Duration = 60

Frame 235
Duration = 60

Frame 280
Duration = 60

Frame 350
Duration = 60

Frame 397
Duration = 60

Frame 428
Duration = 60

Frame 434
Duration = 60

Frame 461
Duration = 60

Frame 469
Duration = 60

Frame 495
Duration = 60

Frame 515
Duration = 60

Frame 548
Duration = 60

Frame 577
Duration = 60

Frame 631
Duration = 60

Frame 659
Duration = 60

Frame 700
Duration = 60

Frame 748
Duration = 60

Frame 757
Duration = 60
Is anyone familiar enough with jDRP to figure out how to make the corpses I mentioned above disappear while using jDRP? FYI I'm running jdrp101+11a+fixes.pk3.

I've temporarily worked around the issue by removing the 4 models from jdrp101+11a+fixes.pk3 but I would prefer to be able to use the new models instead.

Comments

• There is a built-in game-corpse-time mechanism for making them disappear automatically. I would suggest using this rather than trying to fudge it with a DEH patch, as in doing so you are changing fundamental playsim mechanics/timing. The built-in mechanism achieves this in a way that doesn't affect the game play (aside from the fact corpses become invisible...).
  • Cool! That accomplishes my goal. Thanks for your help!
  • Besides performance reasons, why would you want them to disappear at all? That was one thing I didn't like about Doom 3, though I did find a mod that lets them stick around for a long time. I think too many games make them disappear. what's the fun in that? Probably just because of memory limitations is why they do it.
  • That's exactly it: performance. I was playing a megawad called Kama Sutra and many of the levels have over 1000 monsters in them. The corpses were out of control and my system wasn't handling them very well so I created the DEH file to make the corpses go away to solve the issue. After I completed it I decided I liked the corpses disappearing so continued to use the hack.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/megawads/ksutra.zip
  • Adjusting the model distance view is what I do if it gets too choppy from too many corpses. Maybe that can also help you. On a side note, I was looking through megawads on the megawad website a few days ago and read something called Karma Sutra along with many other texts: http://edsdoomsite.tripod.com/id11.html

I like wads with many monsters as you just said, so I will download that one. I really like wads that make the exit of a level and the entrance of the next level look connected, like the next level is connected to the one you completed. Feels more like a real environment.
  • Thanks for the link. I'll check out the wads on that site and see what's there.