How disable head left/right movements?

edited 2009 Sep 20 in Technical Support
Hi all, I just discovered Doomsday through the OS X 1.9 beta, impressive. Seems run quite fine and the launcher adds a lot.

But I have a question, is it possible to disable the head movement from left/right when you move? I remember you could disable it even in the original games. I wonder if this is possible in Doomsday.

Comments

• Those movements are named bobbing :-) and the answer is two consoles variables :
    # Scale for viewheight bobbing.
    view-bob-height 0.5

# Scale for player weapon bobbing.
    view-bob-weapon 0.5

For both the original value is 1, and you can change them through the console or by editing the file jdoom.cfg, in OS X this file is in ~/Library/Application Support/Doomsday Engine/runtime
  • I think it looks hilarious when you turn them both off. Reminds me of Wolf3D, as if your guy is riding around on train tracks. =)) Each to their own though.
  • I think modern shooter don't use the vertical bobbing anymore and the horizontal weapon aiming has a small amplitude. I'll try without any bobbing but I bet you get used to it rather fast.
  • A quake 3 style bobbing would be cool. You know, where the weapon seems to move backwards/forwards (or in/out if you prefer, or even far/close) as opposed to the "U" movement of the gun sway in classic Doom.

All this and more i'm sure will be 100% adjustable via DED's in Deng2.
  • I didn't noticed this in/out weapon bobbing in Doom 3, Live Quake nor UT 2003. It could be just that I didn't noticed it and saw only the left/right weapon bobbing.
  • My mistake, I was actually thinking of Quake 1. For some reason the in/out weapon poking of iD Tech 1 engine was always to my liking as this video illustrates. Doom 3 uses iD Tech 4 and is different to all previous iD games in bobbing (Quake 3 and Quake 2), and UT is a completely different engine altogether and is entirely different.
  • My favorite bobbing is certainly Quake 3 but for me the bobbing in Doom 3 seems quite close but as you don't move as fast it's hard to compare. Quake 1 is the only id game with Wolfenstein that I disliked. It opened the 3D era but I never enjoyed the game, unlike all Doom series and Quake 2/3/4. I haven't check UT bobbing, only UT 2003, well the bobbing is a little complicate, not sure how.