Weapon visual effect changes (Heretic model pack)

edited 2014 Mar 5 in Technical Support
In Heretic, The Portals of Chaos (E2M8) there appears to be a bit of a change in the visual effects of the three bosses’ weapons.

I am using Win 7 64 bit and Nvidia 600 series Video card, the video driver is one year old.

In the past when a boss fired at you it used to be three yellow fire balls but now it is a yellow light, so dodging the fire balls is a problem since you cannot see them.

A similar problem occurs when they “hammer the ground” instead of an intense yellow streak of light it is now an amorphous diffuse yellow light.

I have not had a change to check any other monsters or games to see if any changes are there too.

Perhaps it is just a setting that needs to be changed.

This is just an observation and thought people might enjoy checking it out.

Comments

• Are you using the Heretic model pack?

That completely replaces several of the original missile sprites with particle generators. Dday has a limit of 512 active generators and when that limit is over-run they all turn off. This makes the missiles appear invisible.

Many of the Heretic model packs effects throw particle generators around with some abandon, though it was far worse in earlier versions of the pack.

One thing I've been meaning to say for a while though, is that the automatically placed halo's seem overly strong on Heretic's 'fire' sprites; the automatically placed halo's on the powered up Phoenix Rod fire is so strong it obscures the end of it.
  • Yes, I am using the Heretic Model pack.

I dropped back to build 1154 and it was there too, so it looks like you are correct, it is not the build but the model pack that is the problem.

I suppose I will have to look into modifying the particle generators (down a bit) to see if it helps. Of course, this is assuming I can figure out how to do it.