How can I get Risen3D's Hi-Res Stuff to work on Doomsday ?

edited 2014 Feb 9 in General
Hey Dudes ! For the past few days I've been playing around with the Doomsday Engine and i got it to work with no lag at 60 fps with all the visuals turned on ... but i don't really like the JDRP 1.01 ... in fact to be honest i don't like the Doomsday addons at all ... Risen3D's Model Packs and Hi-Res Patches are way better for me ...
Is there a way to get the packs from R3D to work on Doomsday ?

Also ... I don't like having to use the snowberry interface to specify witch addons to load for each IWAD ... isn't there a way to make it like on Risen3D ? (Where the right addons load for the right IWAD) ?

2nd ... Where can i get custom sound fx and JDRP models from ?

3rd ... I have a collection of remixes for DOOM , DOOM II & TNT ... How can i get them to work without having to make a DED file ... (most of them are already renamed to the proper lump name) ...

And 4Th ... Say I wanna play Multiplayer with my friends ... Do I have to give them my custom addons so that they can play with me ? ... or that's just a client related thing ? ...

Thanks for any replies xD ...

Comments

• I hope I haven't forgotten anything below; sometimes one is so familiar with X that when one explains it to someone else, one forgets to mention things.
    Risen3D's Model Packs and Hi-Res Patches are way better for me ...
    Is there a way to get the packs from R3D to work on Doomsday ?

Risen3D models and hi-res patches are fully compatible with Dday;

To get the Risen3D models to work on Dday:
    1.Install the Risen3D pack somewhere.
    2. Find the deds in the installation.
    3. Create a new sub folder in the installation called 'defs/jdoom/auto'.
    4. Zip the whole installation up in a pk3 with whatever name you wish.
    5. 'Install' the PK3 through Snowberry as you would any other add-on.

Optional, just to prevent DDay logging a few negiable errors in the console as it loads them: open the deds and clean out the Risen3D specific things such as liquid splashes, the Grenade Launcher and the handful of Risen3D specific model flags (i.e Risen3D uses a model flag to tell the engine to intelligently clip a model, while Dday automatically intelligently clips all models).

Optional2: create an info file to allow turning on/off each individual model in Snowberry.

To get the Risen3D hi-res patch packs to work with Dday:
    I admit that I can't remember much about these.

1. Install them somewhere.
    2. If nesscerry Move all the textures to 'data/JDoom/textures', within the installation, while keeping any Doom1, Doom2 etc subfolders.
    3. If nesscerry Move all the textures to 'data/JDoom/patches', within the installation, while keeping any Doom1, Doom2 etc subfolders.
    4. Zip the whole installation up in a pk3 with whatever name you wish.
    5. 'Install' the PK3 through Snowberry as you would any other add-on.
    Also ... I don't like having to use the snowberry interface to specify witch addons to load for each IWAD ... isn't there a way to make it like on Risen3D ? (Where the right addons load for the right IWAD) ?

Snowberry is the only launcher for modern Dday. It is due to be replaced by the task bar and in progress Ring Zero gui, in a few stable releases time and thus will receive no notable changes beyond fixing any large bugs.
    2nd ... Where can i get custom sound fx and JDRP models from ?

http://www.dengine.net/addons

Many Dday non-map add-ons can be found here, though only as torrents. You may also find others by digging around this forum.
    3rd ... I have a collection of remixes for DOOM , DOOM II & TNT ... How can i get them to work without having to make a DED file ... (most of them are already renamed to the proper lump name) ...

Download Sycraft's music packs from the above addons page and switch his music tracks out for yours (i.e basically use the deds and subfolders from his add-on).
    And 4Th ... Say I wanna play Multiplayer with my friends ... Do I have to give them my custom addons so that they can play with me ? ... or that's just a client related thing ? ...
    Dday should tolerate different clients using different visual add-ons such as hi-res patches and different soundtracks. Though be aware that the JDRP has mobj definitions in it that may cause issues.
  • Thanks but i still have a few questions ...

1. when using R3D's model packs or the JDRP i can only so the very top of the weapons ... any idea about that ?

2. what about detailed textures are there any available for Dday ?

3. even when i turned vsync off in both Dday and in the Nvidia control panel Dday is still stuck at 60 fps ... i've even went to the render settings and tried the vanila profile ... and it's still at 60 ... Risen3D usually runs at around 200 fps on my system ...

and at last ... when i asked for sound fx and jdrp models i ment to say ... those made by the community or by someone els other then the Dday team ... ?

is there a version of AbbsPack available for DDay ? ... all right i'm done now ... see ya :D
  • Dday is someday soon-ish (post 1.14 certinally) going to start supporting more modern model formats than the MD2 format supported and used by most Doom ports; forum users are currently working on new models in preparation for this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=877

Also, there is this long in production model pack, primarily for Dday: http://www.doomascension.com/home. However, no sort of a release date has been announced yet.
    1. when using R3D's model packs or the JDRP i can only so the very top of the weapons ... any idea about that ?

Dday has a long standing oversight where hud weapons aren't positioned correctly at non 4:3 screen resolutions. Deng Team have yet to deal with it.

One can find the cvars to manually adjust the hud weapon position in this, old thread.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1246
    3. even when i turned vsync off in both Dday and in the Nvidia control panel Dday is still stuck at 60 fps ... i've even went to the render settings and tried the vanila profile ... and it's still at 60 ... Risen3D usually runs at around 200 fps on my system ...

Vsync currently can't be disabled in Dday due to a recent bug that Deng team have yet to fix: http://tracker.skyjake.fi/issues/1712
    2. what about detailed textures are there any available for Dday ?
    is there a version of AbbsPack available for DDay ? ... all right i'm done now ... see ya :D

Both these add-ons were originally made for Dday and then ported to Risen3D. Deng Team themselves choose not to host either of them.

I assume you mean the detail texture pack and some sort of Risen3D version of it, rather than the hi-res texture pack (the hi-res texture pack for Dday is the DHTP; the Risen3D hi-res texture packs share lot's of textures with it). The full title of the detail texture pack is 'Daniel Norton's detail texture pack'. A few links to the add-on have been posted on the forum over time, but I think they have all since expired, unless someone proves me wrong.

Risen3D and Dday's detail texture support is identical, so if the version for Risen3D doesn't work out the box with Dday, it should just be a matter of tweaking the folder layout of the add-on to make it work with Dday.

Getting the Risen3D version of Abb's weapon models to work with Dday, as far as I am aware, should be no different to getting the main Risen3D model packs to work with Dday.
    and at last ... when i asked for sound fx and jdrp models i ment to say ... those made by the community or by someone els other then the Dday team ... ?]
    All the add-ons on the add-ons page are made by the community (though much of the JDRP was worked on by DaniJ who became a Dday developer later), just Deng Team choose to host those compilations. I'll be cheeky and say that I've always thought it was misleading.

There are unfortunately, basically no released (I believe a couple are in development though) Dday specific maps outside of a few ancient ones or stand alone mods built off ancient versions of Dday.

I believe, due to Dday neither supporting the common Boom editing features (yet), and a core component of Dday's own map modding system, XG, having been broken since about the ancient 1.9 beta4, due to the ongoing rewrite of Dday. Though part's of it have been restored in the last few stable releases.

There isn't a large enough stable of Dday specific map's to make restoring XG a high priority, but that also limit's one's ability to make Dday specific maps. The rewrite also led to Dday's map editing features falling behind the primary modding ports (arguably ZDoom and PRBoom) in possibilities.