Finally!

edited 2009 Jun 16 in Off-Topic
Finally! You have your own forums - I must have complained so many times about that. Shame about how it happened but still nice to see you finally move out.

I'll stick my head in from time to time, but as a user (and probable vocal commentator) from now on. I'm well underway with my port, so I'd rather focus my limited development time on that.

Comments

• Good to see you popping in now and again Yagi - you've been missed!

Can I ask what's the port you're working on? I noticed you highlighted a few source code and compilation issues to Dani so I'm guessing it's perhaps related to the Doomsday engine...
  • Good to see you popping in now and again Yagi - you've been missed!
    :-O people miss me ??!!!???
    Can I ask what's the port you're working on? I noticed you highlighted a few source code and compilation issues to Dani so I'm guessing it's perhaps related to the Doomsday engine...
    You're spot on, I have a fork of the Doomsday engine I work on. It's been recently renamed to Shinka and you can find it over at http://shinka.bpa.nu (warning link is slow) the wiki needs work, but the blog is updated regularly.

In a nutshell, the goal is to re-imagine the games doom/heretic/hexen - it will feel more like a total conversion rather than classic doom/heretic/hexen (which doomsday proper gives a better feel for if you want eye candy with doom). I'm refactoring the engine to more effectively use test driven design methods, and the engine itself will initially focus on portability, new ai, physics, threading, and an updated render system. I have a date based release system, although in my case release usually means git tag and push to the public server for people to download and build.
  • Yes - I missed watching some of the other lazy, less willing and ill-advised forumites setting themselves up for a verbal beating and then chuckling at your replies.

That sounds like quite an interesting project Yagi, and ambitous - I'll head on over there and have a snoop around when I've got some free time. Good luck with it.
  • Yeah it'll be nice having you around again, so welcome back! I'll have a look at your port at some point too.
  • Thank you - it is certainly ambitious :D Presently it's Linux only, although that should be rectified within the next few releases.