DoomsDay Frontend loading & Win7 64 bit

edited 2013 Nov 12 in Technical Support
I have Windows 7 64 bit and for sometime now I have to use the “compatibility Mode” to get Doomsday's Frontend to work properly sometimes. Some builds are worse then others for this problem. At present I am using build 1042.

If I use Windows 7 compatibility mode or no “compatibility mode” setting I get two start buttons and the left hand panel listing the different games is partly off the screen. It seems I have to use WinXP (SP2) or (SP3) compatibility mode and then it will sometimes (depending on the build) seem to get "stuck" and not finish loading. What seems to help it finish loading the Frontend (if indeed this is what is happening) is to access the Task Manager and wait a few seconds.

Intel 3770K CPU, NVidia 600 series GPU

Is anyone else with Windows 7 64 bit having this problem?

Comments

• What dose your doomsday.out file say as i am running Win 7 X64 no problems. i can use the outdated snowberry and the frontend just fine.
  • I use Windows 7 64-bit as my primary development platform and while the Snowberry UI is indeed a bit finicky (likely due to it using an old version of wxWidgets) it seems to work fine here, without the need to specify a compatibility mode.
  • Thanks Gordon and DaniJ for this helpful information which suggests to me the problem is probably at my end.

I have tried unloading Doomsday through Windows and deleting all the remaining files then reloading the latest build (1045) without any add-ons but the same thing happened. I have tried this both with a SSD and mechanical HD. I guess it is fortunately I have a work around for this problem.

Unfortunately no “Doomsday.Out” file is generated since this happens in the Front-end so Doomsday had not loaded yet.

I have only been using Windows 7 for one year (use to have WinXP) and most if not all of my program files all seem to be put in the Documents folder. This includes Doomsday files and 37,800 others which results in over 23 GB of files from different programs all mixed together in the "Documents Folder". There are no subfolders at all it is one VERY long listing of almost 38,000 files from different programs. Is your "Documents Folder" arranged this way?

Since my video card diver is a year old I may try to update it to see if this helps.

Thanks again for the information!
  • your documents folder is strange mine is set up using folders like how it should be. do you perhaps have a win/folder setting turned on that may be causing all your problems?
  • I right clicked on my “Documents Folder” to access the “Properties” tab and I noticed that the button to “Return to Defaults” was highlighted; therefore I thought I must not have defaults settings in place. I clicked on it and now I have a “Document’s Folder” with many subfolders and Doomsday’s Frontend loads right up without any hesitation at all. I think Snowberry had to search through 38,000 files looking for the correct file and I thought it was hung. I do not know how this happen or what possible benefit it would be to have such an arrangement of files but I would like to think you Gordon very much for the help! Several other programs are now starting up faster too.

Thanks again, this has solved my problem!
  • it dose not matter how it happen just that it did and that I and Dani were here to help.