About playing multiplayer

edited 2009 Sep 19 in Technical Support
So, I tried to play with a friend through the use of Hamachi (we couldn't get the match to be listed on the master server unfortunately), so we used our Hamachi ID to set up our connection (this already worked with Unreal Tournament 2004, laggy but it worked). However, when I tried to connect to his hosted game (or he connect to my game), we would get an error message, which unfortunately I kind of forgot now. I remember it had a function about something like SendDataBufferReliably or something like that, and it said something about trying to send 4l when it's supposed to send 2l, or something to that effect. Unfortunately I couldn't find that message in any log here so I'm afraid I'll have to wait until my friend returns to get this message again.
Is it supposed to be buggy like that and will MP will only be fully implemented on a later release? If so, what release you plan on releasing it on, and do you have plans to release it still this year?
If it's gonna take a little bit too long to make my friend impatient, then which version is the latest one with working multiplayer? I tried checking out 1.8.6 but I found it somewhat... primitive... I mean I couldn't set a key for using items so I was stuck with enter ^^ had a hard time with chaos serpents.

Thanks!

Comments

• one thing the new doonsdays multyplayer is not working and did you try bind in the console that is your friend for when things are not there
  • I belive me and a friend are having the same problem with connecting to each other.
    the error message reads like this:

1 server has been found.
    Name: P/M L Ver: Game: Location:
    0 : Doomsday 1/2 10900 jhexen 1.3.3 :13209
    MAP01 (HEXEN.WAD:14ed52e) p:0ms Multi
    hexen skill3 coop jump
    Players: th
    N_InitService: In/out UDP port 13209.
    N_SendDataBufferReliably: Tried to send 4l bytes (max pkt size 2l).

It appears instantly after the connection attempt. We have tried the latest version (1.9.0 beta 6.6) as well as some of the earlier 1.9 and 1.8 releases and have absolutely no idea how to solve this =)
  • hellep please? :->
  • That's the same problem we got. We got to fix it by installing version 1.8.6 somewhere else and playing with it. We're gonna try other ports for playing multiplayer now and see which one is better for now.
  • If you want to play Doom multiplayer, try Skulltag (based off ZDOOM). I never liked it though, I much prefer Doom Legacy for Co-Op - its a little primitive and dated compared to Doomsday, but it is very solid and easy to set up. The only version of Doomsday you will get successful multiplayer in is 1.8.6 AFAIK, but even then - Doom Legacy is a better choice.

1.9.0 Beta 6.6 has unfinished multiplayer support as it's in the middle of an overhaul. Beta 7 will be comming later in the year hopefully which should have the brand new re-written Server-Client framework last I heard. So stay tuned for your cross-world Doomsday fix soon :))
  • JonusC wrote:
    If you want to play Doom multiplayer, try Skulltag (based off ZDOOM). I never liked it though, I much prefer Doom Legacy for Co-Op - its a little primitive and dated compared to Doomsday, but it is very solid and easy to set up. The only version of Doomsday you will get successful multiplayer in is 1.8.6 AFAIK, but even then - Doom Legacy is a better choice.

1.9.0 Beta 6.6 has unfinished multiplayer support as it's in the middle of an overhaul. Beta 7 will be comming later in the year hopefully which should have the brand new re-written Server-Client framework last I heard. So stay tuned for your cross-world Doomsday fix soon :))

Even though you CAN play multiplayer coop on 1.8.6, you cannot save on multiplayer because it gives some random error.
    I've downloaded Skulltag and tried to get the hang of it, it seems easy enough to get going, what's the difference between Skulltag and Doom Legacy so I can decide which one I'm gonna use with my friends?
  • honestly, its a personal thing. Skulltag and zdoom always felt 'ugly' to me, i dont know why lol! Doom legacy however, had been around for a loooong time, its the first decent sourceport i tried after boom about.. Hmm... 10 years ago? Plus it had split-screen :o and you can save co-op games from memory.

i had bad experiences with skulltag. Horrible lag and crashing. But its been months since i last tried it. Just try both and decide for yourself i think is the best :) but dont forget about doomsday! It really is the most advanced one out there, beta 7 will rock our world!
  • JonusC wrote:
    honestly, its a personal thing. Skulltag and zdoom always felt 'ugly' to me, i dont know why lol!
    Maybe 'cause it's like vanilla Doom with a high resolution, and the color scheme for the menus looks like condiments that should be on a hotdog!
    The reason it was permissible for Doom to have such small and blocky sprites and 128-pixel textures is 'cause it was originally run in 320x200 :(
  • lol yeah psych very true, but i was speaking more 'feel' wise. Hard to explain, different engines feel different to me. Back in the day when arena deathmatch was getting big, there were two main players as you are no doubt aware: UT and Q3A. UT was more successful and technically more impressive and had more gamemodes, but the brilliance that was iD Tech 3 just felt better to my preference. Even tho most of my mates played ut on aussie servers, i was on q3a overseas servers as i found the gameplay more fluid and refined. You probably know what im talking about.

I dont know what everyone else thinks, and maybe its my hyper analytical mind, but the doom engines feel different to me even tho i have no idea of their tech/internal differences (cant be THAT much, right?). Legacy was always my favorite (yes i tried them all on doomworld.com) until jDoom came along :)

And thats my story. Thank you for listening lol. Damn my off-topic rants!
  • Hi.
    I'm Vermil and I'm a Doomaholic.
  • Hi, I'm JC, and I want to live on Phobos.

Well I just bumped this thread with another off-topic statement... damn you all to Mars! I mean Phobos! I mean Deimos!