Collision Box - Bug - Possibly?

edited 2013 Jan 26 in General
Hello,

Me yet again asking questions about collision boxes!

Though I thought I would bring this one up as im sure if its a bug or not?

I created collision boxes around MD2 models to stop rockets from passing through them as well as the player and other monsters.

This works fine, though I have just noticed that hitscan projectiles such as shotgun and pistols etc seem to pass right through them. So I can actually kill monsters standing right behind a model. Luckily the monsters dont know this and so walk around the object. Surely that should not happen?

Reason I 'think' its a bug too is because I only just recently updated jDoom to the latest version and im fairly sure this behaviour did not happen on an older version (had not updated for a few months)

So whats the verdict, intentional or a bug?

If thats supposed to happen, then thats a bit of a a pain and in that case is there a Flag or some way to stop hitscan projectiles passing through them. If not, can a special flag be implemented at a later date to support this function, would help massively with MODS!

Comments

• Hitscan attacks have always passed through any non-shootable mobj (i.e any mobj without the shootable flag). That's standard Vanilla engine behaviour.

Of course, if you add the shootable flag to your mobjs, they will then become targeted by auto aim. The only exception is the Puff Pods in Heretic, which are a hardcoded exception.

I made an RFE for that behaviour to be un-hardcoded into a new mobj flag, long ago, but I wager no new features will be added to the existing mobj editing system due to there being new modding systems planned in future.
  • Thanks Vermil,

Thats bit of a bummer, was hoping for an easy solution. I may have to create some small sectors that go up into the body of the model which will block most hitscan weapons. I shall have to keep this in mind when creating large models that could be abused by players by shooting through them. I nearly had everything figured out too!! DOH!

So making it 'Shootable' blocks hitscan, but messes up auto aim. Thats something to consider I guess as I play with it 'off' anyway, but by default its on and if players do leave it on the results could be.....disastrous....rocket launcher in face = not cool! lol

If anybody can think of a work around let me know.
  • Hey,

If the models/thing types are placed in a user made map, couldn't Dehacked be used as a work around to the issue?
    ~ that is, if the Dehacked is placed in side the wad as internal lump so it couldn't be disabled.
  • Dehacked wouldn't change anything here; Dday's existing mobj editing features are capable of all Dehacked can do and more and can also be placed inside a wad (as a lump called DD_DEFNS or DD_XGDATA for XG). But they are not nearly as fully featured as say, ZDoom's Decorate and some mobj behaviours are still hardcoded in Dday to the degree they were in the Vanilla games.

The behaviour of auto aim on Heretic's Puff Pods is one such mobj behaviour; it is harcoded to the Puff Pod mobj ID name and the Heretic game mode.

Dday is planned to get new modding features for Dday 2, so the Puff Pod behaviour might be un-hardcoded then.