Long mouse latency

edited 2013 Jan 23 in Technical Support
Hey,

Very cool update patch and I like how there's an auto-updater now when launching the game!

The only thing that's really bothering me in this release and a few previous ones is the mouse movement. e.g. when I move my mouse, the player then moves about .5 sec later.
Is there any way to reduce this latency?
~ hopefully as a default where the user doesn't have to put a variety of cvars in to adjust it heh.

Thanks

Comments

• there is i just forgot the cvar and i know it's some were on these forums
  • The most effective way to search for a console variable that you aren't entirely sure of the name of, is using Doomsday's own apropos console command. With this command you can search the console database for a partial name such as "mouse" or "filter". Any alias/command/game mode or variable which contains this substring will be listed in the console.

For example, to search for the string "filter" open the console and enter:
    apropos filter

• Hey,

Well I looked up some console commands via apropos: filter, smooth, mouse, and latency, smoothing without result for.
    But nothing to really tweak the mouse movement other than what's already in the options menu about the mouse x,y and speed.
    The problem is the movement of the mouse simply has a lot of play, like a worn out steering wheel in a late 70's pickup truck heh.
    ~ It just seems like a speed up, slow down off-set effect with the mouse movement in game. like ultra smooth is enabled but can't be disable to stock Doom settings.
    Is there a way to fix this to better precession or latency?
    I'll keep looking for a way around this, for a more accurate mouse movement.

Thanks

ps, sorry I realized now that I probably should have posted this in tech support. :\
    But what I gather so far, the mouse movement seems a little buggy. :\

Edit:
    Ok it seem that the strafe movement has a bit of an issue as well.
    After doing some research I think it may be a really nice option to have a strafe speed modifier as well!
  • You can cut down the input latency a little by setting "input-sharp-lateprocessing" to zero.

Doomsday's input processing is a long story, but we are planning to introduce a separate mode for latency-free input event handling.
  • Actually, what Mr. Rocket seems to be describing is the net effect of the removal of latencies in the original game controls. Quite simply, one cannot remove these latencies because this then fundamentally changes the player physics due to the way momentum is applied linearly every 1/35 seconds.

The reason Doomsday's player movement seems wrong is because the movement angles are being updated more frequently then they should be, given the inherent "latency" in DOOM's physics simulation. This is the response feedback that Mr. Rocket likens to loose/shot steering bearings.

In fact, I have reached the conclusion that the default control configuration in Doomsday is actually broken, as it achieves neither "latency free" response nor accurate emulation of the original game. Its somewhere in the middle.

I would also argue that DOOM's physics simulation is fundamentally incapable of supporting "latency free" feedback (in the sense that term is used here). If this is what we want, then I believe we will have develop an entirely independent fractional time physics simulation just for the player.
  • You know, if anything what I want is for the mouse input to not have additional artificial latency on top of what is already incurred by the devices themselves.. the mouse & monitor. These things tend to be additive.

I'm not too bothered about that movement stuff however... and a doom feel for the movement is OK by me. However, I can almost imagine that part of people's memory of the latency of doom had to do with the poor hardware they had back in the day which may have had even more latency in it.
  • One must be careful to make a distinction between artificial latencies which are the result of hardware/software implementation issues and those which are inherent to the game implementation.

The sort of "latency" which Mr. Rocket is talking about is inherent in the game and should not be removed unless emulated.
  • Agreed, as a hardcore Doomer, I still find the 'broken controls' very strange feeling in Dday 1.9 to the point that it interferes.

I often find myself over turning and unable to make the fine movements I could in Vanilla and earlier Dday.
  • I turn off V-sync and then it doesn't lag. I've had similar problem with Dead Space.. with V-sync lots of lag, without no lag at all. With Dead Space I was able to force V-sync on with the Nvidia control panel while keeping it off in the ingame settings, but this doesn't seem to work with Doomsday. Maybe that had a slight improvement.
  • Hey,

Actually as JCA suggested, disabling V-sync did make a bit of a difference.
    It's still there I can feel it, not an actual fix, but disabling V-sync helped!
    ~ I'd say the difference of switching from a unicycle to a bicycle heh.
    Thanks for the heads up JCA. :)