Help with Deathkings sump level bug [Resolved]

edited 2012 Dec 1 in Technical Support
Ok maybe i spoke to soon lol. I've encountered a bug with hexen deathkings on the sump level. On the river that lowers, the middle one if the three, the following level has a chaos serpent. Normally you kill the serpent and a layer of the room in the middle reveals itselft by lowering. Then you kill another serpent and another wall lowers and so on till all the walls in the middle of the room are down. Now for some reason after I kill the serpent the wall wont lower and thus I'm stuck behind it unable to hit the switch to progress farther in the game. Im almost positive it may be doomsday related because I used the exact same wad on a previous doomsday build and did not have this glitch.

The only way around ive found is to enable noclip cheat and walk through the wall to hit the switch but cheats aren't enabled on hardest difficulty level which is really frusterating because this is the only difficulty I find challenging.

My question is a. Has anyone had this bug and found a way around it? And b. is there a way to manually enable cheats on the hardest difficulty level using doomsdays complex engine?

Comments

• That is an issue that has been fixed in the latest unstable builds of Dday with a temporary workaround; your 1.9.9 save should be compatible with it.

That said, It is one of multiple known bugs in Dday 1.9 caused by it using more precise collision checking code than the original game.

In the Vanilla Doom engine and hence Dday, a mobj will block a sector from raising/lowering, if there is not enough room for said mobj; in this instance there is a Chaos Serpent placed partially in a wall. The comparatively less precise collision code of the Vanilla Doom engine lets it through.

Unfortunetly this particular case is game breaking, as it means you can't kill the specific Chaos Serpent required to lower a wall at the back of the room to get to a required switch. Well you can cheat, but as you've noticed, cheats are disabled on skill 5.

Deng team ultimately plan to fix all issues caused by the more precise code, by re-implementing the original Vanilla Doom engine code for mobj collisions in Doom engine games. However it isn't a trivial thing to do.
  • Vermil wrote:
    That is an issue that has been fixed in the latest unstable builds of Dday with a temporary workaround; your 1.9.9 save should be compatible with it.

That said, It is one of multiple known bugs in Dday 1.9 caused by it using more precise collision checking code than the original game.

In the Vanilla Doom engine and hence Dday, a mobj will block a sector from raising/lowering, if there is not enough room for said mobj; in this instance there is a Chaos Serpent placed partially in a wall. The comparatively less precise collision code of the Vanilla Doom engine lets it through.

Unfortunetly this particular case is game breaking, as it means you can't kill the specific Chaos Serpent required to lower a wall at the back of the room to get to a required switch. Well you can cheat, but as you've noticed, cheats are disabled on skill 5.

Deng team ultimately plan to fix all issues caused by the more precise code, by re-implementing the original Vanilla Doom engine code for mobj collisions in Doom engine games. However it isn't a trivial thing to do.
    Thanks for your reply, so which version should I download? Im using mac i see there's two options when i click on the apple icon the 1.9.9 stable which i have and the 1.9.10, should I try the 1.9.10 or is that not new enough?
  • Ok I tried the latest unstable build 1.9.10.696 and it wouldnt recognize any of my wads as games. Says no registered games found unable to autoload. ? What am I doin wrong?
  • One thing i dont understand about this forum is how fast people are to respond to something I post but then if I ask a followup or to explain in more detail I get no response at all.

Anyways luckily i tried build 661 or 691 or whatever the earliest .10 build is and it worked with my save and the part That was stuck loaded like it should. I then saved my game and went back to 1.9.9 and all was well.
  • Unstable builds are just that; there is no guarantee that they will work at all. They are automatically made every Monday and Friday regardless of wheter they will work.

Though often, if an unstable build completely fails to work, Deng team will look into it, break the above cycle and manually make a fixed unstable build.

But they also contain the very latest features, bug fixes and updates and allow users to help Deng Team debug them.