need help getting hexen and hereitic to work.

edited 2012 Dec 1 in Technical Support
hello i need abit of help and im abit new here.

i been trying to get the hexen and hereitic to work but so far i cant.

i can get doom and doom 2 to work but eh.
i was really hopeing that i can play hexen and hereitic without haveing to do alot but.

Do i need the origional and have it installed? i have doom and doom2
i am useing windows 7 and 64 bit but when i try to install hexen it wont work.
please any help?
also i got the log/crash report.

Comments

• In order to help we'll need more info - like what you've tried doing already and what the actual problem is that you're having.

There are shareware versions of Heretic and Hexen that you can get for free online but I don't have those links handy. The full versions are not free.

When you have Hexen running but have model problems or segment crashes, check out this thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1076
  • ah sorry lol

but when i try to play hexen ( i have the original cd but wont install) i get 1 of 3 things happen.

1. when i try to start it wwith what i have i get ' InitGameDLL: Loading of Hexen failed (error 126)

2. i get to the doomsday console but it says type ' load (game name) ' . i type load hexen then i get can not load.

the 3rd thing that happens is if i do get in to play i have the doom weapons and hud but i have the hexen levels just up to seven portals.But the color is disorted and random and i dont wanna play it that way. i will get the doomsday.out log to help if it can.
  • edited 2012 Nov 27
    You can copy the HeXen.wad file directly off the HeXen CD, if the installer doesn't work. It's just sitting there unencrypted.

If you are taking the Iwad file directly off an original CD, you probably have V1.0; the only boxed V1.1 release of HeXen, was in the Towers of Darkness compilation.

Hence you have to use the HeXen 1.0 game mode instead.
    'load hexen' = 1.1 game mode.
    'load hexen-v10' = 1.0 game mode.

You can't play multiplayer between 1.0 and 1.1 and the HeXen DK expansion requires 1.1.

There are patches out there for patching 1.0 to 1.1.
  • Also note that if you enter listgames in the console, Doomsday will print a summary of the installed games, their current status and symbolic names (as used with the load command).
  • Vermil wrote:
    You can copy the HeXen.wad file directly off the HeXen CD, if the installer doesn't work. It's just sitting there unencrypted.

If you are taking the Iwad file directly off an original CD, you probably have V1.0; the only boxed V1.1 release of HeXen, was in the Towers of Darkness compilation.

You can't play multiplayer between 1.0 and 1.1 and the HeXen DK expansion requires 1.1.

Are there any patches that will work on a 64-bit system?
  • There is no Windows version of the patch; only a Dos one, for which Dos box should suffice for, if you can't run it directly through Windows. Mind you don't accidently download the 1.1 patch for HeXen DK though (HeXen DK has a 1.1 patch like the base game).

But it's also worth noting that the HeXen patch program may well claim it's failed to patch, when in fact it has succeeded (i.e. it does for me). Check the time stamp on the Iwad to confirm if it's succeeded.

A HeXen 1.0 Iwad should have a timestamp of something like 13/10/1995 and be 19,657kb, while a 1.1 Iwad should have a timestamp of 13/03/1996 and be 19,613kb in size.

It may also be worth noting that the boxed version of HeXen DK comes with the patch file and it's installer forces the user to install it before allowing install of HeXen DK. IIRC the box misleadingly declares you need HeXen 1.1, without mentioning the patch is on the CD for those who only have 1.0.

I believe the Steam version of HeXen is 1.1 and the Steam version of HeXen DK is 1.0.

As far as I am aware, there is absolutely no 1.1 release of HeXen DK out there boxed or other wise, hence everybody has to use the HeXen DK patch to reach 1.1 (fortunetly, Dday accepts the 1.0 HeXen DK Iwad, just it suffers from the same music bugs as Vanilla HeXen DK 1.0).
  • ElysianRsa wrote:
    Vermil wrote:

Are there any patches that will work on a 64-bit system?
    yea that where one part of the problem is for me :s
  • Vermil wrote:

on the main loading screen it says version 1.1 o.o?