DE Gray Screen When Joining Co-op Server

edited 2012 Nov 17 in Technical Support
Hi all,

A friend and I are trying to play Ultimate Doom or Doom 2 on the public co-op server. Both he and I get a gray screen with the 'DE' logo once we are connected to the server (Screen shots attached). We can both get into the PvP servers just fine, as well as the Heretic Co-op server just fine. I noticed there's a warning when selecting the server (see screen shot). Also posted is my runtime log.

Also, this happens regardless of add-ons being enabled or not.

Screen Shots:
http://my.ilstu.edu/~tjtegme/error%201.png
http://my.ilstu.edu/~tjtegme/error%202.png

Link to runtime log:
http://my.ilstu.edu/~tjtegme/runtime.html

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Comments

• The error message is saying that your Doom2.wad don't match the servers version; the server is using the '1.9' Iwad.

Where did yours come from?

For reference, Dday currently doesn't officially support the new version of Doom2.wad from the recently released Doom3 BFG Edition; the Doom2.wad in the BFG edition was altered especially for that release. Though support is planned for it in the near future.
  • Hmmm.... Looking at my wads they have a last modified date of 1996 haha so I'm not sure. I do own the doom games so perhaps I could try getting the WADS from those. I've had this same set of wads for like 5 years now so it could be that.
  • I updated all of the WADS from my regular steam versions and that didn't change anything. Still can get into PvP but no Co-op. I don't own the BFE version.
  • Hi, me and my friend have the same problem. It happens when we choose Co-op and the map is 30.
    There is only a gray screen with logo, but if I shoot, the shot heard.
  • @thtegme and Sobol.

Do you get a titlepic when you start Doom2?

Did you get your Iwads from the stand alone version of Doom2 on Steam?
  • Yes, I own each individual game doom, doom2, heretic, hexen, etc all on steam. I get the proper title screens for each. They all seem to fully function and have for years all the way back to old 1.8.6 versions. The only thing I have trouble with is getting into these co-op servers for doom + doom 2.
  • I found my doom2.wad file somewhere on the internet many years ago.

The titlepic appears when I start the game.
  • Ok.
    It turns out the co-op server needs resetting due to a long known bug with end game finalies.

Obivously though, if your Iwad is different from the servers, you may still encounter errors at some point.
  • As Vermil mentioned, because the servers are not restarted except on Monday and Friday when a new unstable build occurs, they may get stuck in certain levels. One of these is the end-of-game MAP30 in the Doom 2.

I just restarted the servers so they should no longer be stuck.

This is one of the issues I plan to address in the future when I return to the multiplayer functionality...
  • Thank you, your efforts are much appreciated by a huge doomsday fan!
  • I have Doom2 WAD 1.9 and no issues whatsoever with Doom2 co-op.
    But... I get this grey DE screen when joining the co-op server in Ultimate Doom.
    Before starting, I get an error message that while the server is d12fbc, I run db003a.

Now, this is kind of irritating, as there were a lot of different versions of Doom, up to 1.9 - but there is only one version of Ultimate Doom known to me. The CRC32 is BF0EAAC0, size is 12408292 and date is May 25, 1995.

Anybody got an explanation?
  • I just got this one. Windows 7 64, build 679
  • The "server is d12fbc, you have db003a" message is displayed only for the "Doomsday" server - not sure which WAD they are using.
    Server "Deng Team (Co-on; Unstable)" shows no warnings. It is currently at E2M8 and only shows the grey DE screen.

Like Tea Monster, I run build 679 on Windows 7 x64. However, I had the same issues with all earlier versions before.
    Funnily enough, I have no problems connecting to "Deng Team (DM; Unstable)", that one works fine.
  • Indeed, it as I mentioned above, there is a long standing bug regarding MP servers hanging if someone completes a final map (i.e ExM8, Map30 etc).

Currently the Ultimate Doom co-op server is stuck on E2M8 and the Doom2 co-op server stuck on Map30; both final maps.

The reason the DM servers always work, is because they have the server side option to disable map exits set to on.

The co-op servers presumably don't have that option enabled.
  • Indeed, it as I mentioned above, there is a long standing bug regarding MP servers hanging if someone completes a final map (i.e ExM8, Map30 etc). Currently the Ultimate Doom co-op server is stuck on E2M8 and the Doom2 co-op server stuck on Map30; both final maps.
    OK, so the servers just need to be restarted, and there is no misconfiguration on client side.
  • SkyJake, if you have a spare moment tonight you should restart the servers :))
  • I restarted the servers. They also restart automatically on Mondays and Fridays.

As a short-term workaround I modified the co-op server map cycles to not include the last maps of each episode. They now cycle through the other maps in order.
  • Good on ya, mate!
  • As a short-term workaround I modified the co-op server map cycles to not include the last maps of each episode. They now cycle through the other maps in order.
    Unfortunately, both servers are stuck again, Ultimate Doom co-op at E2M8 and Doom2 co-op on Map30 :(
  • I think there's a significant deficiency in the map cycle logic: when players exit the map manually, the cycle isn't checked but rather it just goes to the next map in the episode. Thus you can still end up in E2M8.
  • Yeah, that should be changed. Logically the map cycle should overrule the default map progression and also any finales/interludes/intermissions which are defined as part of that progression.
  • I'd like to suggest a 'hub cycle' for HeXen (and for the other games when they support hubs).

I.e Dday would read the loaded MAPINFO lump or Map Info def and base off the 'cluster' information, to work out where each hub starts and ends.

Obviously, with Vanilla HeXen MAPINFO an assumption would probably have to be made that the first map in a new cluster is the start of the hub, but Dday's Map Info defs could maybe have a field added to indicate to Dday that the map is the start of the hub, for Dday mods that feature hubs.

Obviously, I may be missing something important in my analysis above.