Keyboard Layout switch & Statusbar

edited 2012 Oct 18 in Technical Support
Hello,

first things first - thank you very much for developing this great engine!

OS Windows 7 x64, german keyboard

since version 1.9.7 i have a problem with the keyboard.
the button left from the "1" key isn't recognized for bindings, so the console won't open.
in earlier versions the keyboardlayout was incorrect, when i pressed the "z"-labeld button on the keyboard the engine recognized this as "y".
now it is correct, but with flaws for me.

is there a way to restore the "wrong" behavior?
up to version 1.9.0-beta6.9 it was ok (wrong). :)

thanks in advance!

best regards!
g0r3

Comments

• Go into the control panel and on the Console page is the option "Activation key" - this can be used to change the key which toggles the console.
  • Hi DaniJ,

thanks for the quick response!
    I already feared that answer. you know, an old dog learns no new stunts... :)

Is there a way to swap the "y" and "z" button?

best regards,
    g0r3
  • Go into the menu, open the Controls page and from there you can rebind the controls however you wish.
  • in earlier versions it was possible to change the keymap as i read in the forum.
    am i right, that the console command "keymap xx.dkm" is gone in the newer versions 1.9.7 and newer?
  • That is correct yes. In older versions of Doomsday for Windows it was possible to remap the keyboard according to a .dkm mapping file. That method is incompatible/redundant what with the current Qt based input system abstracting away the locale/key mapping stuff at a low level.
  • Hello,
    one further question about the status bar.

I play e.g. doom 1 with statusbar enabled.
    Is it possible to deactivate the red dropshadow on the ammo, armor, healthcounter?

best regards,
    g0r3
  • g0r3 wrote:
    Is it possible to deactivate the red dropshadow on the ammo, armor, healthcounter?
    Do you mean the shadows on these big red letters?
    status_bars_comparison.jpg

The top one is the original Doom, the bottom one is from Doomsday. Sure enough, they do look different in Doomsday presently compared to the original.
  • This is due to the recolouring of the fonts. The default behavior is to desaturate the font graphics into grayscale images which can be dynamically coloured according to the user's preference when used on the fullscreen HUD.

Ideally this behavior should be optional so that by default no recolouring is done unless a custom colorisation has been specified.
  • Perhaps the recoloring algorithm could be a little smarter so it would distinguish between the letters and the shadows? The shadows should never be changed from their original gray.
  • skyjake wrote:
    g0r3 wrote:
    Do you mean the shadows on these big red letters?
    status_bars_comparison.jpg

The top one is the original Doom, the bottom one is from Doomsday. Sure enough, they do look different in Doomsday presently compared to the original.
    Yes you are right, i meant this shadows.
    i prefer the original doom style with black shadows, so i was trying to get these back.

so in the moment there is no option or console command to use the old style?

best regards,
    g0r3
  • skyjake wrote:
    Perhaps the recoloring algorithm could be a little smarter so it would distinguish between the letters and the shadows? The shadows should never be changed from their original gray.
    I'd rather not get into that kind of thing because it doesn't generalise to add-on fonts (it would have to be disabled). Plus the colourisation is already an issue with add-ons (that the font graphics are monotone and are even suitable for colourisation is a big assumption). Therefore I think the best solution is to make the colourisation itself optional, with a default 'smart' selection logic.
    g0r3 wrote:
    so in the moment there is no option or console command to use the old style?
    Not at present no.