Self assigned sectors

edited 2012 Sep 29 in Technical Support
Hello,

Found a possible bug...or glitch...or something

While using Doom Builder I needed to create an invisible sector such as a invisible bridge going over a chasm (Indiana Jones like moment)

Using good old Google I found a way to do this by using self assigned sectors. IE the Linedef front and back is the same reference number as the sector its self....or sector its in.....still trying to figure it out....but you get my idea.

Anyway, I kept getting the HOM effect. I thought I would check out to see how it was done on Plutonia Map 2, which pretty much is what I am after doing. However, when using jDoom it also has the HOM effect, so im guessing its not me doing it wrong (though I could still be lol), but the effect does not seem to render correctly anyway.

So my question is does Jdoom have a different trick to do this or another way I dont know about etc. Im presuming its a bug as self referencing sectors are very common (apparently) and jDoom cant handle them.

Any help with this matter? Im not worried about compatibility, as long as it works in jDoom :)

Thanking you in advance :)

Comments

• The issues with self-referencing sectors are a known and long standing issue with Doomsday. My current plan is to address support for these for the 1.9.10 release (handling them correctly is a fair bit of work, in the BSP builder and the map renderer).

Presently the only alternative would be to define a new Thing and use it similarly to the way ZDoom's "3D bridge thing" works however you'd have to spawn them dynamically, which will require some XG also.