Steam launch options?

edited 2012 Oct 2 in General
How would I go about getting steam to load each game without snowberry?

Edit: i just want to beable to load the games with Steam Big Picture

Comments

• It should just be a matter of setting up a Steam shortcut and then passing the relevant arguments to doomsday.exe in your shortcut.

You can use Snowberry itself to figure out which arguments to specify by choosing a game profile and then right-clicking on the Play button to view the arguments which will be passed by Snowberry to Doomsday. Alternatively, you can consult the Command Line Options Reference at the wiki, although this may be slightly out of date (ask if you get stuck or need further help).
  • thanks will do. now i just need some doomsday specific grid icons for the games.

Edit: Hmmmmmm..... it seems that steam dose not support launch options for shortcuts anymore :( looks like i will half to make a bat file instead.

Edit2: this is harder then it looks yes i can get all the files needed but how to get them to load need to experiment if the snowberry/addons folder is checked first before anyother folder so i could go -f mywad.wad and it would load as that would make it easier to make the batch files.

Edit3: Question where dose the doomsday.exe look for config files? also what command line options are available in the windows shortcut option as thats how steam looks at it.
  • so far the only 2 i need that will not work as a windows shortcut are the -file and the -def/-defs options is there any way to fix this?
  • Post your bat file (in a {code} block) and we can take a look at what you're doing. They appear to work as documented for me.
  • well in a bat file it works but in a windows shortcut it dose not.
    F:\Doomsday\bin\Doomsday.exe -game doom2 -d "snowberry\addons\imp fire ball.ded"

btw this is all in target if that helps the only thing in this that works is -game
  • An example:
    "C:/Program Files (x86)/Doomsday/bin/Doomsday.exe" -userdir "C:/Users/DaniJ/Documents/Doomsday Frontend/runtime/" -iwad "c:/Users/DaniJ/Documents/DOOM/IWADS/" -vdmap "c:/users/danij/documents/doom/addons/" "}data/jdoom/" -fmod -fullscreen

I then just load my game and add-ons from the console.

Use that as a basis and add to it. Note though that you'll likely hit the character limit, so using a response file would be better.
  • how would i go about setting up a response file for the different games? as the wiki is sorely lacking atm. getting a separate folder setup just in case i need it for my addons.
  • It says right there in the article I linked to, for example:
    "C:/Program Files (x86)/Doomsday/bin/Doomsday.exe" @F:/doomsday.rsp

• i think i see how it works. i will do some tests my self but i think it will go well and thanks for all the help. now i just need to make some steam grid icons lol.

Edit: it worked like i had hoped in that it acts like a batch file for the purpose of the command line problem so now i can get it to how i want with out adding the exe. that makes it more useful as an example here is what i have in the one i called doom2
    -game doom2 -file F:\doomsday\snowberry\addons\jdmu-all-remix-sycraft-v4.pk3 F:\doomsday\snowberry\addons\dwango5.wad

and it works. now the hard task is to get the JDoom resource pack in there witch is going to be hell for me unless i can find an easier way
  • is there a way to make doomsday load the files in a folder using command lines? probably not but it's worth an ask.
  • Yes, you could for example use a virtual directory mapping to map said folder to the data/jdoom/auto directory. However, I get the feeling that isn't what you actually want to do?
  • if i were to make the who addons folder a VDM would any dday game if put into the auto folder load everything in the addons folder? if so then great.

Edit: the Virtual Directory mapping is what i wanted thanks for the help how once i get this done i can make a tutorial explaining how to do it. aka adding all the games dday supports onto steam.
  • Cheers Gordon,

This will come in very handy :)