Particle pack

edited 2009 Aug 18 in Addons for DOOM
Hey, does anyone know the deal with the pre-packaged particles? A lot of them don't seem to be used in certain games... I thought that the maintainer, Abbs, was using copyrighted material in SOME things(ie. the RTCW face), but I didn't know if that carried over to the particles. There are a few reasons why I'm asking:
1) if there's a reason why they shouldn't be used (some of them), then I'd like to replace some, but I'm at a stand-still
2) Particle02 looks like an ever-so-slightly modified Doom 1 sprite MISLB0 (I'm just worried if that's why I haven't seen a lot of them in use, but I have no knowledge)
3) I KNOW that I've seen 21 and 22 on a website JUST TODAY, that's what got me thinking
4) The page for the texture particles isn't started on the wiki

I just don't want to use something that shouldn't be used, or try to distribute something like that...

Comments

• After an extensive search through the packs, I found that the following are used for each game:

Doom: 00-09, 11, 26-31
    Heretic: 3-5, 7, 29
    Hexen: 1, 2, 4-10, 12, 28-31

So particles 13-25 are apparently not (yet) even in use, this being said for anyone who wants to make more and doesn't see what they need there!
    Some seem redundant or somewhat useless, like 19-22 on Doom and Heretic, and 24 and 25 on Doom, as they're super-simplistic electricity particles that don't look like they'd work very well, along with 24 and 25 being duplicates of 22. 13-17 are marshmallowy fire that I think was used in the bullet puff in Doom originally, but doesn't seem to have a use now, and could even be replaced with better-looking smoke. 18 is a firey-looking redundant particle that doesn't look as good as 3(and especially not as nice as 25 in Heretic).

19 and 20 should probably be used for snow in Hexen or perhaps for the ice snow after explosion(isn't that why it's there?), and Particle08 should probably best be used in Heretic for the Gold elvenwand sparks etc. I had wanted to do better fire but felt as though I may be lacking in the space, so that's why I set out to see what was being used where. Until rotation is implemented on texture particles, perhaps a slightly animated fire particle or many, varying particles would simulate the realistic fire( or even smoke) that is desirable.